Couldn't find EFI system partition

special_case

Mar 9, 2022
I'm finding various discussions of this same issue, but am afraid of blindly following "fixes" without fully understanding the issue. I did find this wiki article: ZFS: Switch Legacy-Boot to Proxmox Boot Tool

When I updated my kernel, I saw the following error messages:
Code:
Re-executing '/etc/kernel/postinst.d/zz-proxmox-boot' in new private mount namespace..
No /etc/kernel/proxmox-boot-uuids found, skipping ESP sync.
Couldn't find EFI system partition. It is recommended to mount it to /boot or /efi.
Alternatively, use --esp-path= to specify path to mount point.
run-parts: executing /etc/kernel/postinst.d/proxmox-auto-removal 6.5.11-8-pve /boot/vmlinuz-6.5.11-8-pve
run-parts: executing /etc/kernel/postinst.d/zz-proxmox-boot 6.5.11-8-pve /boot/vmlinuz-6.5.11-8-pve
Re-executing '/etc/kernel/postinst.d/zz-proxmox-boot' in new private mount namespace..
No /etc/kernel/proxmox-boot-uuids found, skipping ESP sync.
run-parts: executing /etc/kernel/postinst.d/zz-systemd-boot 6.5.11-8-pve /boot/vmlinuz-6.5.11-8-pve
Couldn't find EFI system partition. It is recommended to mount it to /boot or /efi.
Alternatively, use --esp-path= to specify path to mount point.
run-parts: executing /etc/kernel/postinst.d/zz-update-grub 6.5.11-8-pve /boot/vmlinuz-6.5.11-8-pve

I'm not sure if this is ignorable or not. Here's some info on my system:
Code:
root@proxmox:~# pveversion
pve-manager/8.1.4/ec5affc9e41f1d79 (running kernel: 6.5.11-4-pve)

root@proxmox:~# findmnt /
TARGET SOURCE               FSTYPE OPTIONS
/      /dev/mapper/pve-root ext4   rw,relatime,errors=remount-ro

root@proxmox:~# lsblk -M -f -o NAME,LABEL,FSTYPE,PARTTYPENAME,PARTLABEL,FSUSE%,MOUNTPOINTS
    NAME               LABEL          FSTYPE      PARTTYPENAME             PARTLABEL            FSUSE% MOUNTPOINTS
    sda
    ├─sda1             extra          zfs_member  Solaris /usr & Apple ZFS zfs-1748d23d5d6f5951
    └─sda9                                        Solaris reserved 1
    sdb
    ├─sdb1                                        BIOS boot
    ├─sdb2                            vfat        EFI System
    └─sdb3                            LVM2_member Linux LVM
      ├─pve-swap                      swap                                                             [SWAP]
      ├─pve-root                      ext4                                                         47% /
┌┈▶   ├─pve-data_tmeta
└┬▶   └─pve-data_tdata
 └┈┈pve-data
    zd0
    └─zd0p1                           ext4        Linux
    zd16
    ├─zd16p1           hassos-boot    vfat        EFI System               hassos-boot
    ├─zd16p2                          squashfs    Linux filesystem         hassos-kernel0
    ├─zd16p3                          squashfs    Linux filesystem         hassos-system0
    ├─zd16p4                                      Linux filesystem         hassos-kernel1
    ├─zd16p5                                      Linux filesystem         hassos-system1
    ├─zd16p6                                      Linux filesystem         hassos-bootstate
    ├─zd16p7           hassos-overlay ext4        Linux filesystem         hassos-overlay
    └─zd16p8           hassos-data    ext4        Linux filesystem         hassos-data
    zd32
    ├─zd32p1                          vfat        EFI System               efiboot0
    ├─zd32p2                                      FreeBSD boot             gptboot0
    ├─zd32p3                                      FreeBSD swap             swap0
    └─zd32p4           zroot          zfs_member  FreeBSD ZFS              zfs0
    zd48
    └─zd48p1                          ext4        Linux
    zd64
    └─zd64p1                          ext4        Linux

root@proxmox:~#  /usr/sbin/proxmox-boot-tool status
Re-executing '/usr/sbin/proxmox-boot-tool' in new private mount namespace..
E: /etc/kernel/proxmox-boot-uuids does not exist.

I see that /dev/sdb2 as labeled as "EFI System". Is it safe to "proxmox-boot-tool format /dev/sdb2" and "proxmox-boot-tool init /dev/sdb2" as in the wiki?

did you install in legacy mode, but then boot in EFI mode for some reason?

@fabian, I flashed my system to switch from Coreboot to AMI BIOS. I don't understand the interactions of the BIOS with the boot process to know what the downstream ramifications are of that.

well, if you completely change your system's firmware then bootloaders and their settings might need some manual touch ups ;)

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!