Correct Nic Configuration for WAN and LAN with Firewall

sunghost

May 27, 2011
Hi,
i want to use pfsense as firewall and for my wan ppoe nat configuration. actually i have configured in proxmox 2 nics vmbr0 for lan (192.xxx) and vmbr1 (10.xxx) for wan both as bridge network. in pfsense i have two nics as bridge too, net0->vmbr0 and net1->vmbr1. my question is about security and the correct configuration of the nics. should i and when which nic, should i configure for nat if i want to activate it in pfsense?

this question is too general and there is no simple answer. thats the reason why no one answered so far.

Hi Tom,

ok but i think thats not as special, because i want to simply use a second eth only for pppe out of vmbr. And the question about security is, how to configure the second eth and the vmbr for the virtual machine. should i use the vmbr still as bridge and configure the vm with nat or must the vmbr configure as nat too? should i use it as host only? my concerns are that another vm could use the second nic, while it is confiured as bridge, as well and go around the firewall.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!