Cores vs hyperthreading

Chow

Apr 28, 2008
We currently use AMD servers for Proxmox but want to move to Intel. Intel uses hyperthreading but shows the threads as cores in cpuinfo. Can we safely assign the threads as vcores? Or is it better to stick with AMD and real cores.

Last edited:
Intel doesn't strictly enforce hyper threading. It does indeed have real cores and you can disable hyper threading in bios if you wanted. A quad core Intel is actually 4 cores, etc.

Sent from my Nexus 5

But should you assign vcores to the Intel cores or can you assign them to the threads? A quadcore hyperthreading Intel will show 8 cpu's for example which are actually 8 threads.

From what I know core vs thread was a pre Sandy Bridge issue. The Sandy Bridge chipset is equipped with a "real" NUMA bridge so that no single thread is interconnected with is twin. Eg before Sandy Bridge VmWare's recommendation was to disable Hyper Threading due to possible problems when assigned threads from the same core to different VM's which in worst case could lead to CPU starvation of one of the threads since processing time was shared between threads on the same core. This especially show off when running multi threaded test - AMD was alway ahead of Intel since AMD only provides real cores - i3/i5 compared to quad-core AMD and i5/i7 compared to octo-core AMD.

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!