Convert sata to IDE/VIRTIO

Kamyk

Oct 16, 2013
Hello,

I have a lot of VM's with Linux systems on them. Somebody created SATA like a disk and i have problem with migrate it from one node to other. With IDE/VIRTIO i don't have that problem.

How can i change SATA to IDE for example without reinstall system?

Thank you for help and answer.

Best,
Rafal - Kamyk

you just have to "reconnect" the existing disks. through the web gui or perhaps editing the config files.
Then each VM must be stopped and started (not just restarted).

Marco

What do you mean reconnect? I can only remove it, but i will lost all data there. How can i change it in linux env.?

Best,
Rafal

no, if you simply remove a connected disk it will be listed as "unused".
only removing an "unused" disk really destroys data.
you can "edit" the unused disk and reconnect changing channel type and number, as well as other settings.

note: if you're testing, backup the vm (with all disks) first.

Marco

Reactions: mjw
Sorry for that questions: but how can i do it? In Proxmox GUI i can go to VM and next Hardwer. And click on disk and i have only: Add / Remove / Edit / Resize / Move / Throttle. If i use Remove i will remove disk. There is nothing like Unused.

Best,
Rafal

no, if you click "remove" the disk will not be "destroyed", it will be listed below, as "unused", as I said above.

perhaps that label button could be changed to "detach" or "disconnect", when an used disk is selected, as this is what it does.
and perhaps it should be "destroy" on a "detached" (unused) disk, just to be more clear...

[edit]
when you click "remove" on a used disk you get a confirm request saying "Are you sure you want to remove entry 'Hard Disk (ide0)'"
when you click "remove" on an unused disk you get a confirm request saying "Are you sure you want to remove entry 'Unused Disk 0' This will permanently erase all image data."

Marco

Last edited:
anyway, for completeness's sake I just tested:

in the vm conf file, say /etc/pve/qemu-server/700.conf

you can simply change the channel type and save, eg: from

virtio0: storagename:vm-700-disk-1,size=32G

to

ide0: storagename:vm-700-disk-1,size=32G

and after stop+start it works, but remember to change boot disk info there or in the web gui!
because the boot order is specified through channel type+order, like

bootdisk: virtio0

in the example above change this line also to

bootdisk: ide0

otherwise your vm could be unable to boot.

Marco

Last edited:
Reactions: Dominic
"no, if you simply remove a connected disk it will be listed as "unused".
only removing an "unused" disk really destroys data.
you can "edit" the unused disk and reconnect changing channel type and number, as well as other settings."

That is COMPLETELY wrong!! I've disconnected (remove a used disk) which will results a unused disk will be leaved.

A "re-connecting" of that unused disk with a new controller type (sata, virtio, scsi) will result in a blue screen or system recovery (depends from the used option of controller type) in my Windows Server 2008 R2.

Now i need to reinstall because of that!!!!

The proxmox version i use is Virtual Environment 4.4-1/eb2d6f1e and a linux 4.8.0 kernel.

Regards,
Jan

Last edited:
OK, so maybe it's partially wrong! ;)

But why does reverting to IDE (that was original and working before!) not solve the problem anymore? The problem still persists after reverting to IDE.

Regards, Jan

The most likely explanation is that you've tried to "repair" the windows installation; typically when you get the inaccessible boot device error no harm is caused to the underlying file system, and switching it back to ide would work. In any event, snapshots are your friends.

If you're able to boot using ide, the simplest way to get virtio functionality in your Windows install is to add a dummy virtio disk, install the drivers, and that should be it.

Now i need to reinstall because of that!!!!

Why have you tried that on a production system without a snapshot or even a backup? That's really careless.
We're living in a almost fully virtual life here, just install or clone machine just for your tests.

Yes - but snapshots are NOT the solution for my question/problem!

There wasn't any important data on that VM, and to leave it by IDE was no option. So i had no choice. The only one way was just to reinstall...

Another question: How can i use a signature in this forum?

Regards, Jan

well i can safely say im none the wiser having read the above - although one thing i will certainly be doing while i work this out for myself is taking a cold backup of my guest vm! ;-)

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!