Containers: online migration and snapshot

liane

Renowned Member
Nov 25, 2008
I'd like to have online migration and snapshot for containers, just like I had in Proxmox 3.

So far, I found that online migration now required a network storage, so I tried LVM on an iSCSI storage, but that doesn't allow snapshots.

I tried also ZFS over iSCSI, but it seems I can't store containers on this one.

So, given that snapshots are more important for me than online migration (backups are done daily, online migration only once in a while), I'm stuck with local LVM-THIN storage, did I missed something?

I must admit I don't know, it is a RPN-SAN iSCSI at online.net, and I didn't find much information on it.
But in all cases, when I setup the ZFS on iSCSI storage, it just allow images on it, no rootdir, so I assume it can't store containers, and in fact, when creating a new container, I don't have choice to store it there, so I don't think it is an OS issue?

yes, that's what I tried to use, but I succeeded both LVM and ZFS on it, just LVM didn't allow snapshots, and ZFS doesn't like containers

EDIT: RPN-SAN is *just* iSCSI (bloc network storage), so I used LVM above it

what I did exactly:

for LVM:
connect iSCSI using proxmox GUI
install LVM over this storage using proxmox GUI
tested, that works: installed a LXC on it, and did a couple of migrations.

for ZFS:
connect ZFS over iSCSI using proxmox GUI: storage created in GUI
tried to set a new container on that storage: no option.

I am pretty sure that *as it is*, ZFS won't work ok, but before I dig harder on that matter, I'd like to know if it is a viable option for container network storage

I've been using Proxmox GUI ZFS over iSCSI, and my concern is not if if works, but if it *might* work

Attachments

• pm1_-_Proxmox_Virtual_Environment.png
    pm1_-_Proxmox_Virtual_Environment.png
    22.8 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!