Container or VM

yarii

Renowned Member
Mar 24, 2014
I would like to make a router for a 10G+ bandwidth (BGP+QoS+Firewall).
Of course I will passthrough the network cards inside to the VM/Container.

What is better for that purpose: Container or Virtual machine?

Last edited:
VM, and I would try virtual VirtIO nics.

@tom I plan not to use virtio nics because of performance (I need multiqueue and offload from my hw nic).
So there is not a good idea to do that - i will use VirtIO nic for management nics.

So there is not a good idea to do that
Did you run benchmarks (VIrtIO vs passtshrough? Please post results, including physical hardware details.

I will do tests between LXC and KVM with passthrough.

I could do also (virtio vs passthrough) but You show me the way to simply simulate 100.000 connections with different src/dst ips....

Running benchmarks is complex, but if you tell that VirtIO is slow in your use case, I just wanted to know if you really tested this or if this is just an assumption from your side.

Which OS do you run?

Networking stack is complex - adding additional layer for this would block the oportuninty of tuning in many ways.
So I think I probbably use IOMMU instead of SRV-IO and not to use virtio as a bridge to network nic.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!