[SOLVED] Console Timeout

Alemiz

Jun 9, 2019
Hi,
I got back home from vacation. And when I connected to ProxMox web interface and tried to connect to console it crashes due to timeout.

Before my vacation (1 week) it works. No updates were done during this time.
Any type of console noVNC/xterm.js doesnt work.

Im using Chrome browser and I dont want to change it. (In Mozila it works)

It usually crashes with this error:

Code:
timed out waiting for client
TASK ERROR: command '/usr/bin/termproxy 5900 --path /vms/121 --perm VM.Console -- /usr/bin/dtach -A /var/run/dtach/vzctlconsole121 -r winch -z lxc-console -n 121 -e -1' failed: exit code 4

Thanks for help

Please post
Code:
pveversion -v

Did you try a hard refresh (clearing caches) on Chrome? What exact version of it are you running?

It usually crashes with this error:
What are the other errors?

any updates on this issue? I have the same problem - two different proxmox clusters. 5.1-36 and 5.4. Upgraded one node to latest everything and rebooted.
Note that this failure is on all node shells, all VM consoles. Nodes that have most recent update. nodes out of subscription that have not updated in several months. I have tried edge, ie, chrome and safari.
cannot connect to any VM console. I am in a bad way on this - I have a VM I cannot access due to an iptables issue I believe. no way to correct without console.
It looks like it does connect then rejects.
should I try adding a third party cert?
WebSocket connection to 'wss://xxxxxx:8006/api2/json/nodes/node01/qemu/1101/vncwebsocket?port=5900&vncticket=PVEVNC%3A5D81B2AB%3A%3ASdqwxXu7siXCuBcQFHEw1jVqlrczY16PVmhRiyaAWP%2BhPReMly0qX8cUAtT2TRVynXTxuED5nI3Tt34gs%2Bkr5es%2BsoUrZVR7nBU325LJxHe9GTkA9LPE2ydf9jmWS0lr%2BCW7HFp5d6v%2FBjpWuj5hdTO7tbWdLSCdeO1XMGTnrxK8syzwuXfie4UFfYKFEW4ixC3rFxihId63yG%2BjfYFwzr661XSAW%2FbWpkh7ZA9CZwZ6QYwAFvinY%2Fb1Ly9GyD600Y1rDr3TLPEOd7XXqCvwncQPfDIsV3hfGokwTtKMpEtXFm5HYuvGpB%2F2RPbszoPHfHi6qsxvg538rPqDslH%2BbA%3D%3D' failed: Error in connection establishment: net::ERR_CERT_AUTHORITY_INVALID

Same. I have stll this bug. With Mozila Firefox it works. You could try ti ;)
I saw a mention of that...but for some reason firefox will not connect to the gui at all.
ok - just got it to connect to the gui by using private mode.
And this does seem to go a step further - instead of "failed to connect to server" (with a JS cert error) it DOES connect, but is not working. No display, just a blank screen.

this is in firefox, private mode
1568821585176.png

I saw a mention of that...but for some reason firefox will not connect to the gui at all.
ok - just got it to connect to the gui by using private mode.
And this does seem to go a step further - instead of "failed to connect to server" (with a JS cert error) it DOES connect, but is not working. No display, just a blank screen.

this is in firefox, private mode
View attachment 11839
A bit more info. using firefox, private mode it does work on some VMs - about 25% of them. the rest are blank screen.
I think there are two problems:
1) reported by many people is this issue with consoles not working. you can connect, but no display
2) what I first reported. chrome, ie, edge, safari, firefox unless in private mode all refuse to connect due to "failed: Error in connection establishment: net::ERR_CERT_AUTHORITY_INVALID ".
perhaps I should try adding a third party cert and see what happens

I will try tomorrow older version of Chrome on win 7. Im usually using win 10 with latest Chrome.

I suddenly got it too. I was using NoVNC and suddenly lost connection and got the same error, NoVNC and xterm on Chrome and Mozilla, private or not.
What is weird is I was just using it 20 minutes ago, I did nothing nor updated the host.

NoVNC : logs for pveproxy and pvedaemon
Code:
Sep 25 xx pve pvedaemon[13876]: starting lxc vnc proxy UPID:pve:xxxxx:vncproxy:100:xxxxxxxx@pam:
Sep 25 xx pve pvedaemon[13900]: starting vnc proxy UPID:pve:xxx:xxx:xxx3:vncshell::xxxxxxxx@pam:
Sep 25 xx pve pvedaemon[13900]: launch command: /usr/bin/vncterm -rfbport 5902 -timeout 10 -authpath /nodes/pve -perm Sys.Console -notls -listen localhost -c /bin/login

xterm : logs
Code:
Sep 25 xx pve pvedaemon[16037]: starting termproxy UPID:xxxxxx:vncshell::xxxxx@pam:
Sep 25 xx pve pvedaemon[16037]: command '/usr/bin/termproxy 5902 --path /nodes/pve --perm Sys.Console -- /bin/login' failed: exit code 4

pveversion :
Code:
proxmox-ve: 5.4-1 (running kernel: 4.15.18-12-pve)
pve-manager: 5.4-3 (running version: 5.4-3/0a6eaa62)
pve-kernel-4.15: 5.3-3
pve-kernel-4.15.18-12-pve: 4.15.18-35
corosync: 2.4.4-pve1
criu: 2.11.1-1~bpo90
glusterfs-client: 3.8.8-1
ksm-control-daemon: 1.2-2
libjs-extjs: 6.0.1-2
libpve-access-control: 5.1-8
libpve-apiclient-perl: 2.0-5
libpve-common-perl: 5.0-50
libpve-guest-common-perl: 2.0-20
libpve-http-server-perl: 2.0-13
libpve-storage-perl: 5.0-41
libqb0: 1.0.3-1~bpo9
lvm2: 2.02.168-pve6
lxc-pve: 3.1.0-3
lxcfs: 3.0.3-pve1
novnc-pve: 1.0.0-3
proxmox-widget-toolkit: 1.0-25
pve-cluster: 5.0-36
pve-container: 2.0-37
pve-docs: 5.4-2
pve-edk2-firmware: 1.20190312-1
pve-firewall: 3.0-19
pve-firmware: 2.0-6
pve-ha-manager: 2.0-9
pve-i18n: 1.1-4
pve-libspice-server1: 0.14.1-2
pve-qemu-kvm: 2.12.1-3
pve-xtermjs: 3.12.0-1
qemu-server: 5.0-50
smartmontools: 6.5+svn4324-1
spiceterm: 3.0-5
vncterm: 1.5-3
zfsutils-linux: 0.7.13-pve1~bpo2
Edit: Interesting, on MS Edge, when accessing NoVNC or xterm it asks me to validate the TLS certificate to continue and it works after that.

Last edited:
@jmpfas @Jonathanyyf does Alemiz' solution work for you as well?
ok...I am now officially confused as hell.
Adding exception in eset (which I do use) did not help
stopping eset totally did not help
clearing chrome cache did not help
I found another laptop that had not been powered up in maybe two months. Fired it up, stopped eset so it would not update - and it worked perfectly. All consoles work every time.
Started eset, let it update to latest. rebooted laptop...that one still works perfectly. chrome, firefox, edge, i.e. all work.
My desktop and normal laptop, running same version of eset, same settings, same netowork...nothing works now. I can no longer connect to console on ANY VM.
It does seem like it is something in the PC. It really does look like eset or other firewall, because it fails instantly (although it says "timed out").

Next I will try removing eset totally.

ok...I am now officially confused as hell.
Adding exception in eset (which I do use) did not help
stopping eset totally did not help
clearing chrome cache did not help
I found another laptop that had not been powered up in maybe two months. Fired it up, stopped eset so it would not update - and it worked perfectly. All consoles work every time.
Started eset, let it update to latest. rebooted laptop...that one still works perfectly. chrome, firefox, edge, i.e. all work.
My desktop and normal laptop, running same version of eset, same settings, same netowork...nothing works now. I can no longer connect to console on ANY VM.
It does seem like it is something in the PC. It really does look like eset or other firewall, because it fails instantly (although it says "timed out").

Next I will try removing eset totally.
That WAS the problem. I thought that it was not ESET because I had tried "pause firewall/ allow all network traffic" and that made no difference.
turns out that "allow all network traffic" does NOT stop the TLS filtering!
This is what you have to turn off:
1569622580554.png

Funny things evertyhting work again.
Still no clue what was the issue, must not be Proxmox, and I don't use ESET.
I suspect it is my ISP.
I guess Murphy Law is gonna catch me :(

Reactions: Dominic
Had same issue - was also ESET. Turning off the block SSL v2 did not do the trick. Had to either turn all SSL/TLS protocol filtering off or in list of know certificates add my certificate from the Proxmox server or allow it to be used even if untrusted and ignore using either interactive mode or adding it manually.

Reactions: Jake_3h
Hallo, ich habe das selbe Problem auf Mac und IOS, gibt es dafür auch eine Lösung? Danke für die Hilfe

I was having issues connecting to the console as well. Fresh install. Messed with some SSL settings in ESET and it worked. Proxmox unchanged. Changed the settings back and it still works.

Random as hell. Can't say it builds faith in a product. Doesn't work, come back in a few hours and it does....

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!