[SOLVED] Console not working when accessing the Web-UI over an SSH tunnel

Andreas Piening

Mar 11, 2017
When I connect to the PVE Web-UI over an SSH-Tunnel, the console of my LXC container is not showing up (black screen, no content).
It works fine when I'm connecting directly when I'm dialed in over VPN.

I just wonder if this is a general issue because of the way the console is implemented (webcsockets?) or if there is a solution to make it work through an SSH-tunnel.

Kind regards
Andreas

I just tried this and it works fine for me with both xterm (LXC) and VNC (QEMU)... How are you creating the tunnel? Maybe check the F12 developer console of your browser for any errors (firefox and chrome have a 'network' tab where they list all outgoing requests for example).

Also, sometimes the getty in containers is a bit weird, have you tried just pressing 'Enter' a few times after clicking into the empty console window?

Reactions: Andreas Piening
Hi Stefan,
thank you for the tip with the network tab of the dev tools: I got an error complaining that the certificate chain is not valid. I was running the browser in 'ignore invalid certificates' mode and this caused the websocket requests to fail. I'm using the self signed certificate that was generated by the installer, since the installation is not publicly accessible.
After unsetting the 'ignore invalid certificates' setting and trusting the certificate on the first prompt the console works!

Thank you very much!

Andreas

P.S. I would like to accept your post as a solution or at least mark this post as solved, but I can't find an option for that.

Glad it helped! You can edit your first post and select the [SOLVED] title prefix.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!