[SOLVED] Console freezes with (OpenJDK) IcedTea

T

topi

Hi guys,

Just a post to give you a feedback about my experience with the console applet. Hope it will help somebody.
My situation : Server with Proxmox 2.1 (up to date), my OS is OpenSUSE 12.1 (64bit), I use Firefox 12 and OpenJDK. With this configuration I encountered problems with the webinterface of Proxmox, to be more precise with the console (VNC Viewer).

Each time I opened a console, the system freezed and I had this message :
A script on this page may be busy, or it may have stopped responding. You can stop the script now, or you can continue to see if the script will complete. Script: https://<IP>/pve/ext4-all-debug.js:11204
And when I closed the console my browser crashed.

On the Tasks I could see this message :
TASK ERROR: command '/bin/nc -l -p 5900 -w 10 -c '/usr/sbin/qm vncproxy 100 2>/dev/null'' failed: exit code 1

Same behavior with Chrome.

Then on the forum I found some posts +- corresponding with my issue http://forum.proxmox.com/threads/1066-vnc-plugin-does-not-work-with-IcedTea-Java-Web-Browser-Plugin ...

In my experience, the problem came with the java plugin (OpenJDK/IcedTea). So I installed the JRE of SUN instead of OpenJDK and now everything is OK:

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Topi, I have been getting lots of odd 2.1 web interface issues (64bit Deb Wheezy admin client) including the console connection and the uploads of ISOs on bare metal test installs with properly updated software.

I have previously seen such issues on some other java stuff but it has been far less apparent over the last year or so. The historical issues seem to have been generally resolved in other OJDK related problems, but issues seems to crop up with Proxmox a fair bit. I dont currently find similar types of issues elsewhere that we have java apps deployed.

With Oracle's attempts at control and since this is a OSS project, would it be a good idea to get the interface to work to the OpenJDK 'spec' instead of the Oracle (Sun) licensed version? Presumeably it would be upward compatible, ie an OJDK example would work with Oracle but perhaps there is something in the Oracle versions that cannot/is not included in the OJDK? Be nice not to have to worry what java platform is installed rather than set specific license and version requirements.

Right now, I am not yet convinced to put 2.x in a live setting, but sooner or later we will have to move from 1.9. 1.9 like any software wasn't perfect but I seem to be fighting against 2.x issues more often. It would be nice to keep with Proxmox but as there is upheaval moving from 1.9 to 2.x anyhow and since now we only run KVMs there are a few option to consider.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!