vnc plugin does not work with IcedTea Java Web Browser Plugin

natxo

May 17, 2008
hi,

and because this is the only java plugin available for workstations running x86_64/amd64 cpu's under linux, this is getting irritating. Please please, get this fixed. It does not work either on i386, but then one can get the official jre from sun and then it works.

It is a waste to install a 32 bits distribution or (gasp) windows i386 in a dual core 64bit capable laptop that for the rest works perfectly fine. Besides, if I run a java test on the sun java website, this plugin works perfectly. So the problem lies with this java application. It simply hangs there waiting and waiting.

I must also add that this icedtea java webbroser plugin is about to become the standard plugin for linux. Fedora has it since fedora 8 or 9, and now debian lenny has it (just install a standard lenny desktop and it will be there). Chances are ubuntu will get it from upstream as well.

hi,

and because this is the only java plugin available for workstations running x86_64/amd64 cpu's under linux, this is getting irritating. Please please, get this fixed. It does not work either on i386, but then one can get the official jre from sun and then it works.

It is a waste to install a 32 bits distribution or (gasp) windows i386 in a dual core 64bit capable laptop that for the rest works perfectly fine. Besides, if I run a java test on the sun java website, this plugin works perfectly. So the problem lies with this java application. It simply hangs there waiting and waiting.

I must also add that this icedtea java webbroser plugin is about to become the standard plugin for linux. Fedora has it since fedora 8 or 9, and now debian lenny has it (just install a standard lenny desktop and it will be there). Chances are ubuntu will get it from upstream as well.

I actually run 64-bit ubuntu, and got the official sun java plugin working. Perhaps I'll start another howto when I have time...? I know that sun just released java recently for firefox/x86_64 and it works with the vnc viewer app, however every once in a while it crashes the browser.

and because this is the only java plugin available for workstations running x86_64/amd64 cpu's under linux, this is getting irritating. Please please, get this fixed.

Please report a bug to java people instead.

hi,

see http://www.proxmox.com/forum/showthread.php?p=5698#poststop

Hey Natxo !

hi,

Please see above response from Tom, the official Java 64bits plugins is in Lenny non free.

This is not true anymore both icetead and the new Java plugin are 64 bits.

This is not a bug from Proxmox but a known issue from the icedtea plugin. Activate the debug console and you will see an SSL exception. I made some search a while ago but couldn't find back the exact reference, but this looks like the same issue : https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/firefox-3.0/+bug/177514

Hope this help
LeTic

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!