Console breaks after installing systemd in container

FuriousGeorge

Renowned Member
Sep 25, 2012
When I install systemd in my container, the console becomes inaccessible.

Steps to reproduce:

-Create New Container
-Inside Container:
--apt-get update && apt-get dist-upgrade && reboot (console works after reboot)
--apt-get install systemd-sysv && reboot (console no longer works)

In the console window I see:

"Connected to tty1

<Ctrla a + q> to exit, <ctrl +a> <ctrl +a> to enter <ctrl + a> itself"

Whatever that means...

I am still able to connect via ssh.

Any help is much appreciated.

Hello. FWIW I just started getting a similar problem today. Yesterday, no issues. When I install a Ubuntu 16 container console works fine. I login as root and make a user and add that user to sudo then apt update && apt dist-upgrade && reboot. After rebooting console is blank and never loads. I also can't SSH into the container "connection refused".

Maybe your inittab-alike system gets updated and then you will not have a console ready. You can simple go inside your container by typing pct enter <vmid> and then find out what's wrong.

Reactions: KHosting
When I install systemd in my container, the console becomes inaccessible.

Steps to reproduce:

-Create New Container
-Inside Container:
--apt-get update && apt-get dist-upgrade && reboot (console works after reboot)
--apt-get install systemd-sysv && reboot (console no longer works)

What distribution runs in the CT?
And in which version of systemd runs in the CT? Some older versions have/had problem when running inside a container.

In the console window I see:

"Connected to tty1

<Ctrla a + q> to exit, <ctrl +a> <ctrl +a> to enter <ctrl + a> itself"

Whatever that means...

That the console per se works, or at least a connection to the tty could be made, nothing in the logs/journal?

Sorry for the delayed response.

The CT is Debian 8. I don't have access to it right now, but I'll verify the rest later. I do recall, however, that the process was.

1) apt-get update
2) apt-get dist-upgrade
3) reboot
4) verify it still works
5) install systemd and systemd-sysv
6) loose console
7) reboot
8) verify that it still does not work

I'll be able to get the systemd version etc tomorrow. I still have ssh access or I could use pct as suggested above.

Don't use systemd :-D

The problem is that there is no console opened on tty1, tty2 or console directly. This is configured on a sysv system in /etc/inittab. Just read about opening consoles with systemd. I have no documentation laying around, so you have to google it yourself.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!