Connection refused when connecting to itself

Ventzy

Oct 16, 2013
I have installed Proxmox 3.1 and OpenVZ container with apache. I have redirected traffic on port 80 to that instance with
Code:
iptables -t nat -A PREROUTING -p TCP -i eth0 --dport 80 -j DNAT --to 10.0.0.3:80

When I am logged on the host or in the container and execute telnet 1.1.1.1 80 where 1.1.1.1 is my public IP assigned to the host, I get "Connection refused".

If I am logged from another server and execute the same command, connection is established, so the problem is only when connection is from host to itself. The same thing happens with other ports too, but ssh connection with
telnet 1.1.1.1 22 is OK.

Is there some Proxmox settings that can cause this? Is there some software (firewall for example) in default Proxmox installations that can cause this?

I have installed Proxmox 3.1 and OpenVZ container with apache. I have redirected traffic on port 80 to that instance with
Code:
iptables -t nat -A PREROUTING -p TCP -i eth0 --dport 80 -j DNAT --to 10.0.0.3:80

When I am logged on the host or in the container and execute telnet 1.1.1.1 80 where 1.1.1.1 is my public IP assigned to the host, I get "Connection refused".

If I am logged from another server and execute the same command, connection is established, so the problem is only when connection is from host to itself. The same thing happens with other ports too, but ssh connection with
telnet 1.1.1.1 22 is OK.

Is there some Proxmox settings that can cause this? Is there some software (firewall for example) in default Proxmox installations that can cause this?

Hi,
I guess it's because you use as interface eth0 and the IP is bound to vmbr0?!

Udo

Hi,
I guess it's because you use as interface eth0 and the IP is bound to vmbr0?!

Udo

Hello Udo,

Probably you are right. Here is my /etc/network/interfaces
Code:
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

auto eth0
iface eth0 inet static
        address  1.1.1.1
        netmask  255.255.255.240
        gateway  2.2.2.2
        post-up echo 1 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/conf/eth0/proxy_arp

auto vmbr0
iface vmbr0 inet static
        address  10.0.0.1
        netmask  255.255.255.0
        bridge_ports none
        bridge_stp off
        bridge_fd 0

post-up echo 1 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward
        post-up   iptables -t nat -A POSTROUTING -s '10.0.0.0/16' -o eth0 -j MASQUERADE
        post-down iptables -t nat -D POSTROUTING -s '10.0.0.0/16' -o eth0 -j MASQUERADE

And here is for one container
Code:
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

# Auto generated venet0 interface
auto venet0
iface venet0 inet manual
        up ifconfig venet0 up
        up ifconfig venet0 127.0.0.2
        up route add default dev venet0
        down route del default dev venet0
        down ifconfig venet0 down

iface venet0 inet6 manual
        up route -A inet6 add default dev venet0
        down route -A inet6 del default dev venet0

auto venet0:0
iface venet0:0 inet static
        address 10.0.0.3
        netmask 255.255.255.255

The server has two NICs. I haven't enough knowledge to understand all implication of this setup. If this is the reason of my problem, how can I fix it? Thanks.

Sorry, I don't undestand what do you mean by
the eth bound to vmbr should not be configured, at all (just inet manual)

To be more clear, I have one public IP - 1.1.1.1 and containers with 10.0.0.X and I am forwarding 1.1.1.1:80 to 10.0.0.1:80 for example.

I have tried "Routed Configuration" from http://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Network_Model but result is the same.

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!