Connecting to proxmox over direct ethernet link

GijsKruize

Jul 26, 2023
I just ordered a Lenovo ThinkCentre M900 Tiny to do some homeserver stuff. Its my first encounter with this kind of software. As we are in the summer holiday i live like a nomad, switching between different houses. I would like to be able to connect my M2 macbook pro trough a Ugreen usb hub directly to the Lenovo ThinkCentre with an ethernet cable and be able to connect to Proxmox over that link.

How do i set this up, do i need to set a static IP on the nic of my hub, or what ip should i set on my Proxmox server.

Can anyone help me out Thnx!

Proxmox host has a static ip address. No action needed.
Your macbook also needs to have a static ip address (same subnet as PVE host).
Not sure if the Ugreen hub will accept UTP straight cable, you can try and if that fails to connect try a crossover UTP cable.
(or you can buy an extra 5-port tp-link switch for €9,- but you will need an extra straight type UTP cable).

Or you can run a DHCP server (LXC) on the PVE host so your macbook gets a dynamic ip address.

"set a static IP on the nic of my hub"
- is that even possible, and what is the point? You either give all hosts a static address, or you use a DHCP server.

Last edited:
So lets say the PVE host is on 192.168.1.10,
what i did yesterday is try plugging it in directly, disconnecting my macbook from wifi and going to that IP adres. But that did not work.
What exactly on my machine should i change to be able to do that?
Thanks!

You need to go into the network settings on your machine (aka. your Macbook) and set a static IP address (lets say 192.168.1.11/24, assuming your PVE host has 192.168.1.10/24) on the ethernet network interface. Mind the netmask, they must be the same.

To explain: Both, your Macbook and your PVE machine need a static IP address for this to work.
Or, as said above, you could also run a DHCP server in a container/VM on your PVE host.

Reactions: Spoonman2002
So lets say the PVE host is on 192.168.1.10,
what i did yesterday is try plugging it in directly, disconnecting my macbook from wifi and going to that IP adres. But that did not work.
Thanks!

Not sure what that Ugreen hub can do or how many ethernet ports it has.
But if it has only 1 ethernet port, then you cannot plug in both PVE host and your macbook.
I think you're better of with a cheap small 5-port tp-link switch, also for future expansions etc.

You need to go into the network settings on your machine (aka. your Macbook) and set a static IP address (lets say 192.168.1.11/24, assuming your PVE host has 192.168.1.10/24) on the ethernet network interface. Mind the netmask, they must be the same.

To explain: Both, your Macbook and your PVE machine need a static IP address for this to work.
Or, as said above, you could also run a DHCP server in a container/VM on your PVE host.
I have tried this but this did not work.
How would i need to setup the DHCP server in that case.

I have a more permanent setup that i will use after the summer holiday, where the server will be connected to the internet and will not be traveled with anymore. There I can propperly set it up but for now i would just like to be able to take my homeserver to another house plug it directly into my laptop and into power and play around with it.

I have tried this but this did not work.
How would i need to setup the DHCP server in that case.

I have a more permanent setup that i will use after the summer holiday, where the server will be connected to the internet and will not be traveled with anymore. There I can propperly set it up but for now i would just like to be able to take my homeserver to another house plug it directly into my laptop and into power and play around with it.
Can you tell us how many ethernet ports that Ugreen hub has...
I did a Google search and found hubs with only 1 ethernet port,
this way you can not make a direct connection PVE host <> macbook.
You are short of a port.

Reactions: GijsKruize
Can you tell us how many ethernet ports that Ugreen hub has...
I did a Google search and found hubs with only 1 ethernet port,
this way you can not make a direct connection PVE host <> macbook.
You are short of a port.
So a proxmox server always needs a connection to a router?

So a proxmox server always needs a connection to a router?

By router you mean internet? If so, PVE can run without router but you can not update/upgrade the host (obviously).

I think you don't understand my point with the number of ports...
In the old days one could create a 1-1 network connection by using a UTP cross cable.
Give both devices a unique static ip address and it worked.

You speak of that Ugreen hub thing you want to use, but it has only got 1 ethernet port.
So you cannot plug in the PVE host and macbook at the same time.

Hi All
i almost have same problem , am troubleshooting my PVE , so i decided to connect to pve through direct connection means :
my laptop nic 192.168.4.20/24 connecting to L2 switch , and pve nic 192.168.4.100/24 also connecting to same l2 switch
i can ping , ssh ... but i cant access gui interface at all ( error in chroum , edge browsers ) connection reset !!!
i disabled all firewalls IDS/IPS FILTERING everything , but i cant disaply pve gui login page , i checked mtu , i did whatever you can imagine
but no result , any clue ? , i can access it through another network segment ( router , firewall interfaces ) but cant access it directly
with gateway or without same :mad:

even i add the ip's to safe sites , i dont have any extensions installed in the browsers , I allow third parties cookies , i allowed java i fucked up my
all security measurements :p:p:p:p:p:p nothing working at all , then am planning to go farming because no such incidents is there :cool:

my thought that pve GUI will not work on Layer2 segments ( pve-8.1) :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::oops::oops::oops::oops:

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!