Connect two physical servers together without a router

cancan

Sep 30, 2019
Hello all,
I have two physical servers. They both have 4 physical network interface/ports on them.

I currently use port 0 to connect them to my office network via a router.

What I want to do is:

I want to create a private network between two servers without using a router. I want to use one of my other available port to create a private connection between these two servers without a router.

I want to use this network interface for clustering purposes.

How can I set this up?

I connected them together with a network cable and tried to configure a Linux bridge but it didn't work.

Please see attached screenshot for your reference... and excuse my ignorance.

Attachments

• proxmox.png
    proxmox.png
    325.4 KB · Views: 53
Hi,

I'm not understanding exactly what you mean by
clustering purposes
I would only use IPs on the vmbr1 which must be in the same subnet.
With this setup, you can communicate PVE_A <--> PVE_B and Guest on PVE_A <--> Guest on PVE_B

Reactions: cancan
Hello @wolfgang

I simply want two servers to use a dedicated network interface/port for cluster communication.

vmbr1 is on the same subnet on both servers. As you can see from the screenshot, I've assigned10.10.10.30 and 10.10.10.20
They cannot communicate together for some reason tho... I feel like Debian host doesn't know how to route the traffic

What am I missing

vmbr1 is on the same subnet on both servers.
proxmox1 10.10.10.30/24 is not the same subnet as
proxmox2 10.100.10.20/24
This is your snapshot showing.

I want to create a private network between two servers without using a router. I want to use one of my other available port to create a private connection between these two servers without a router.

Just to clear things up: routers forward packages between computer networks, not hosts. You also don't need a router in your home/office setup if all computers are on the same network (and I mean that IP-wise, not hardware cable wise).

proxmox1 10.10.10.30/24 is not the same subnet as
proxmox2 10.100.10.20/24
This is your snapshot showing.

How come they are not in same subnet?
10.10.10.0/24 should contain 10.10.10.30 as well as .20

What am I missing here.

1570336280618.png

As your screenshot shows, you're using 10. 100. 10.20/24 on proxmox 2, instead of 10. 10. 10.20/24.

It's "100" vs "10" on the second byte of your CIDR entry.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!