[TUTORIAL] Configuring Fusion-Io (SanDisk) SX300, SX350 and PX600 cards with Proxmox

Vladimir Bulgaru

Jun 1, 2019
Moscow, Russia
!!! Disclaimer !!!
This guide is yet to be tested. Looking for an owner of SX300, SX350 or PX600 cards to test this on a live platform and smooth out all the inconsistencies.

The problems

1. Fusion-Io drivers were designed with Enterprise OSs in mind (RHEL, SLES, ESXi, etc). Later on Sandisk was kind enough to expand the drivers to other OSs (updated list is here: https://link-app.sandisk.com/Home/SoftwareDownload). But you cannot get these drivers to work directly on Proxmox and you have to recompile them from source for your kernel.
  2. Moreover, the kernels do get updated and it would be pain to lose the drive with every update.
The solution
  1. Download all the files. Here's the cheatsheet, so you don't have to waste plenty of time on this (it creates a folder /home/temp where all the files are downloaded automatically:
    Code:
    mkdir /home/temp && cd /home/temp && \
    wget -O iomemory-vsl4_4.3.5.1121-1.0.tar.gz https://www.dropbox.com/s/qqzj0i5ysye8ipu/iomemory-vsl4_4.3.5.1121-1.0.tar.gz?dl=1 && \
    wget -O fio-firmware-fusion_4.3.5.20190313-1_all.deb https://www.dropbox.com/s/vcud8bh1pcsiu35/fio-firmware-fusion_4.3.5.20190313-1_all.deb?dl=1 && \
    wget -O fio-sysvinit_4.3.5.1121-1.0_all.deb https://www.dropbox.com/s/vrhnam9r6b77xwc/fio-sysvinit_4.3.5.1121-1.0_all.deb?dl=1 && \
    wget -O fio-util_4.3.5.1121-1.0_amd64.deb https://www.dropbox.com/s/zbj8rwnur79j233/fio-util_4.3.5.1121-1.0_amd64.deb?dl=1 && \
    tar zxvf iomemory-vsl4_4.3.5.1121-1.0.tar.gz && cd iomemory-vsl4_4.3.5.1121
  2. Get all the tools you need in order to compile the drivers from source (please be aware that at the time of reading the kernel is likely to be newer):
    Code:
    apt-get install gcc fakeroot build-essential debhelper rsync pve-headers dkms
  3. Create the DKMS config file and edit it via the command:
    Code:
    nano /home/temp/iomemory-vsl4_4.3.5.1121/root/usr/src/iomemory-vsl-4.3.5/dkms.conf
    The content of the DKMS will be:
    Code:
    MAKE="'make' DKMS_KERNEL_VERSION=$kernelver"
    CLEAN="'make' clean"
    BUILT_MODULE_NAME=iomemory-vsl
    BUILT_MODULE_LOCATION=''
    PACKAGE_NAME=iomemory-vsl
    PACKAGE_VERSION=4.3.5.1121
    DEST_MODULE_LOCATION=/kernel/drivers/block
    AUTOINSTALL="Yes"
    REMAKE_INITRD=yes
  4. Prepare the source for being compiled, compile the drivers and load the drivers into the kernel:
    Code:
    cp -r /home/temp/iomemory-vsl4_4.3.5.1121/root/usr/src/iomemory-vsl-4.3.5 /usr/src/ && \
    mkdir -p /var/lib/dkms/iomemory-vsl/4.3.5/build && \
    ln -s /usr/src/iomemory-vsl-4.3.5 /var/lib/dkms/iomemory-vsl/4.3.5/source && \
    dkms build -m iomemory-vsl -v 4.3.5 && \
    dkms install -m iomemory-vsl -v 4.3.5 && \
    modprobe iomemory-vsl
  5. Install all utilities and firmware:
    Code:
    cd /home/temp && \
    dpkg -i fio-firmware-fusion_4.3.5.20190313-1_all.deb fio-util_4.3.5.1121-1.0_amd64.deb fio-sysvinit_4.3.5.1121-1.0_all.deb
  6. You may need to compile the drivers for the other kernels present on the system:
    Code:
    ls /var/lib/initramfs-tools | sudo xargs -n1 /usr/lib/dkms/dkms_autoinstaller start
  7. Reboot the OS and make sure the device is attached after the reboot by running
    Code:
    fio-status -a
  8. Format the device according to your needs and enjoy.
I'm still waiting to see how the device holds after the kernel update, just to make sure it's production ready. Other than that, seems to work properly. I've managed to create LVM-thin pool and import the VMs on it. The IO is very subpar (topic for another thread), but i was glad that a very decent hardware may still be used with the latest OSs.

Hope this helps a couple of souls out there. And you can buy me a beer if it saved you a couple of sleepless nights ;)

Last edited:
Reactions: naamval
Vlad- Awesome that you were able to turn this around so quickly. Thanks you! I just tried this and it failed. Also, a couple of corrections:
Step 3 should be:
Code:
touch ./root/usr/src/iomemory-vsl4-4.3.5/dkms.conf && nano ./root/usr/src/iomemory-vsl4-4.3.5/dkms.conf

Step 4's copy statement should be:
Code:
cp -r /home/temp/iomemory-vsl4-4.3.5.1121/root/usr/src/iomemory-vsl4-4.3.5 /usr/src/

I've attached my make.log from this directory
Code:
/var/lib/dkms/iomemory-vsl/4.3.5/build/

Attachments

• make.log
    15.3 KB · Views: 14
I was able to get the 4.3.7 drivers to compile under 4.15.18-27-pve, however I had to edit license.c to change MODULE_LICENSE to GPL instead of Proprietary, otherwise I can't get the source code to compile.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!