Configure Networking for Load Balancing and Fault Tolerance

jehchoi1

Feb 28, 2017
I have three Gigabit Ethernet NICs installed on my Proxmox VE Host.
If I want to have load balancing and fault tolerance

Do I configure the Proxmox VE like this

1679192701027.png

1679192409632.png

OR do I need to use the Bond and attach it to the vmbr0 Bridge?

1679192892615.png

1679193328308.png

And do I need to configure the LAGS on the Cisco Switch's interface ports?

This is similar to how I did my config, but it doesn't seem to work at VM level (works fine at host level though, I get 1.5-1.7 Gbps on 2x1 Gbps links and redundancy works as well). The main difference is that I use balance-rr on the PVE side as I don't have a managed switch at the other end (not permanently, at least). My setup:
- create bond0 with two underlying physical interfaces, mode balance-rr
- create vmbr0 with "ports bond0"
- plug VM NICs into vmbr0
I am very curious if you are facing the same issue that I am (guest VM network connectivity doesn't work / doesn't work properly if both bond0 ports are up and running). I also tested it with a managed switch and LAG set up on the switch ports, no difference.
My thread with some config snippets

@jehchoi1
I would recommend option 2, bond0 using LACP.

With LACP specifically - yes you would also need to configure an LACP bond with gi0/1, 2, and 3 from within the cisco switch software.

Last edited:
Reactions: spirit
I have three Gigabit Ethernet NICs installed on my Proxmox VE Host.
If I want to have load balancing and fault tolerance

Do I configure the Proxmox VE like this

View attachment 48150

View attachment 48149

OR do I need to use the Bond and attach it to the vmbr0 Bridge?

View attachment 48151

View attachment 48152

And do I need to configure the LAGS on the Cisco Switch's interface ports?
The second version is the right one. Make a bond with all your physical ports and add that single bond interface to your Bridge vmbr0. The bond mode depends on your switch, if your Cisco-Switch supports LACP, then that is always the way to go - but don't forget to bond those ports on the switch too.

If you added all the ports to your bridge - like in version 1, then you would create a network loop.

Kind regards,
Benedikt

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!