Configuration with Postini

afrugone

Renowned Member
Nov 26, 2008
I've the following configuration:

Internet<-->Postini<--(512KBPS)-->Proxmox Mail Gateway<-->Exchange 2000 Server<-->User

Have somebody configured something like this, do you have any recommendation for this configuration.
How do I must configure Proxmox gateway to accept and receive mails only from/to Postini servers?
As my internet connection is slow, how can I setup SMTP timeouts to avoid message drops, I have saturation for receiving mails, I've a problem with exchange2000, is not possible to set timeouts.

Thanks
Alfredo

I've the following configuration:

Internet<-->Postini<--(512KBPS)-->Proxmox Mail Gateway<-->Exchange 2000 Server<-->User

Have somebody configured something like this, do you have any recommendation for this configuration.

Why do you implement two spam gateways? this makes no sense to me and a lot of spam detection features on the mail gateway can not work as you need to SMTP whitelist the postini server.

How do I must configure Proxmox gateway to accept and receive mails only from/to Postini servers?

configure this on your firewall, not on the mail gateway.

As my internet connection is slow, how can I setup SMTP timeouts to avoid message drops, I have saturation for receiving mails, I've a problem with exchange2000, is not possible to set timeouts.

Thanks
Alfredo

Tom,

Many thanks for your soon answer,
-Why I use two spam gateways is simple, I've to put something in between, and as we are using Proxmox VE, Proxmox gateway looks fine to use for it, and it has some very useful monitoring tools included.
- I understand that I've to configure the firewall, but my question is how can I asure that Proxmox Gateway send all its mail trough Postini service?
- Its possible to configure time outs on Proxmox gateway?, how?

Best Regards

Tom,

Many thanks for your soon answer,
-Why I use two spam gateways is simple, I've to put something in between, and as we are using Proxmox VE, Proxmox gateway looks fine to use for it, and it has some very useful monitoring tools included.
- I understand that I've to configure the firewall, but my question is how can I asure that Proxmox Gateway send all its mail trough Postini service?

see Configuration/Mail Proxy/Options: smarthost (all outgoing emails are sent to this)

- Its possible to configure time outs on Proxmox gateway?, how?

Best Regards

Pls explain in an example.

Hi Tom,

Smarthost, I didn't find it, now is OK.

regarding SMTP parameters, in another instalation with Postfix we set the following:

# Number of simultaneous process
default_process_limit = 300

# Max message size (20MB)
message_size_limit = 20480000

# How long to wait to transmit the whole message (6minutes)
smtp_data_xfer_timeout = 360s

It's possible to set these parameters in the Configuration of Proxmox Gateway?

Thanks
Alfredo

Last edited:
I'm still trying to work on this, I've setup postini to send all emails to my Proxmox Gateway, but I allways get "Relaying was not allowed for [xxx.6.78.91].", how do i enable the relaying, I have set the following:

(MS Exchange 2000):
Gateway Internal IP Address: 192.168.110.135 (external public IP xxx.6.78.91)
Default Relay: Exchange server IP (192.168.110.100)
SMTP Port 25
Relayed Domains: myowndoamin.com

I've check the smtp server from external service and get this:
HELO please-read-policy.mxtoolbox.com
250 SMTPGATEWAY.myowndoamin.com [156 ms]
MAIL FROM: <supertool@mxtoolbox.com>
250 2.1.0 Ok [140 ms]
RCPT TO: <test@example.com>
554 5.7.1 <test@example.com>: Relay access denied [437 ms]
QUIT
221 2.0.0 Bye [140 ms]

I'm still trying to work on this, I've setup postini to send all emails to my Proxmox Gateway, but I allways get "Relaying was not allowed for [xxx.6.78.91].", how do i enable the relaying,

add the IP to the trusted network list - see Mail Proxy/Networks.

So your domain is 'myowndoamin.com' or 'example.com' ?

554 5.7.1 <test@example.com>: Relay access denied [437 ms]

This is because 'example.com' is not in your "Relayed domains" list.

Dietmar,

Thanks for your answer.

Example.com is domain used by mxtoolbox.com to test smtp remotely, my real domain is tec.....bal.cl (.....noglo), so what I need is that the gateway (proxmox) accept remote relay for email send to my domain tec.....bal.cl from Postini servers at network (74.125.148.0 mask 255.255.252.0)

any sender--->Postini--->relay(proxmox gateway)--->exchange server(tec.....bal.cl)

thanks
Alfredo

Example.com is domain used by mxtoolbox.com to test smtp remotely, my real domain is tec.....bal.cl (.....noglo), so what I need is that the gateway (proxmox) accept remote relay for email

Again, the domain should be in "Relayed domains" list.

I'm sorry to bother you with stupid questions, but I'm little confused about relaying,

I've setup the Relayed domain as:TEC.....BAL.cl (this is the receiver domain) and used abuse.net to check relaying to gateway IP 200.6.78.91 and get the following

>>> RSET
<<< 250 2.0.0 Ok
>>> MAIL FROM:<spamtest@abuse.net>
<<< 250 2.1.0 Ok
>>> RCPT TO:<afrugone@TEC.....BAL.cl>
<<< 554 5.7.1 <afrugone@TEC.....BAL.cl>: Recipient address rejected: Please see http://www.openspf.org/Why?s=mfrom&...ip=192.168.110.1&r=SMTPGATEWAY.TEC.....BAL.CL

"192.168.110.1" is the internal IP address of our firewall.

the SPF link explains it. you can disable SPF checks on the mail gateway (not recommended).

Thanks TOM, i did't, in options I uncheck "Use SPF" but still have the same result

Best Regards
Alfredo

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!