Complete crash - any shortcuts for recovery?

fribse

Feb 2, 2022
Hi All
I have a small NUC here in my homelab, it has a NVME and a SATA-600 SSD in it.
The VM disks are on the SATA drive, and the host is on the NVME.

My NVME was worn out (apparently) so when I started upgrading from 7 to 8 sunday, it just went bye-bye.
So it was a real-life firedrill of backups and procedures :D

I do have backups of all my VM's, so I installed a new NVME, and it was quickly up and running, and then I saw that the SATA drive still had all the VM drives, but of course the host definitions was gone from the NVME.
So I just restored them from the backup, and everything was up and running again.

But looking back I could have saved an hour or two on the restore if I could just recover the vm definitions and put them back, but I didn't find a way to do that, and at the time it was better to just follow the standard restore procedure.
Is there a way to make a backup (like for the full VM's and CT) that just stores the VM definitions?

Last edited:
you can recover the config from the backup with "pvesm extractconfig" (or the GUI, and copy-pasting via an editor of your choice ;)). there is no automated way because the backed-up config and the still-available disks might not be consistent, and this is up to the admin to decide.

But looking back I could have saved an hour or two on the restore if I could just recover the vm definitions and put them back, but I didn't find a way to do that, and at the time it was better to just follow the standard restore procedure.
Is there a way to make a backup (like for the full VM's and CT) that just stores the VM definitions?
Sure, just store the content of the configuration in /etc/pve somewhere else, e.g. on your sata drive

Code:
rsync -a --delete-after /dev/pve/ /mnt/sata-drive/pve-backup/

We copy them regularly on a ZFS dataset and snapshot afterwards.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!