Compatibility with physical RAID controller

jsequeiros

Nov 27, 2014
Hi everybody,

My client wants to buy a server(IBM or Lenovo) to install Proxmox 3.3 as server virtualization. Before to make decision about IBM or Lenovo, I want to be sure wheter Proxmox is compatible with these physical RAID controllers:

IBM : RAID M5110
RAID M1115
Lenovo : RAID SATA 0/1/10/5 6 Gbits/s onboard Intel® RSTet™

Which of these controllers is compatible with Proxmox 3.3?

Thanks for your answers

Hi everybody,

My client wants to buy a server(IBM or Lenovo) to install Proxmox 3.3 as server virtualization. Before to make decision about IBM or Lenovo, I want to be sure wheter Proxmox is compatible with these physical RAID controllers:

RAID M1115

Thanks for your answers
Hi,
don't know this raids, but onboard Intel sounds like an fake-raid - and fake-raids (e.g. software raids) are not supported and also not recommended. (If you can't buy an additional BBU for the Raid, you can be sure that the raid-controller is not the right one!).

Go for an "real" HW-Raidcontroller like Areca or Adaptec...

Udo

RAID M1115
Thanks for your answers

Hi, I have two x3650m2 with M5015 (which is a custom LSI see https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Raid_controller#LSI), since 1.5, no problems ever (apart having to replace BBU which is normal)
but tbh I have mostly network shared storage, on a NAS (which had sw mdraid, btw) :)

Marco

First two will work with PVE.
M5110 is best of them, but I'd recommend also battery|flash backup for it. Without backup it's not much better than M1115 on many workloads.
Last isn't really RAID controller, so don't expect much stability or performance from it. But in non-RAID mode it will also work.

Last edited:
Thanks for your detailed answers. Just in case, we finally decide it's better to buy one RAID controller card not to have problems in the future.

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!