communication failure (0) / Connection timed out (596)

felon

Oct 22, 2020
Hello everyone,

i've a running proxmox server and rented a pbs access from a service provider for backups.
Everything was absolutely fine with it.
But now after some time and a lot of more backups, i've the following problem.

i get communication failure (0)" (somtimes a "Connection timed out (596) really seldom) when i try to "list" the backups via gui.
If i list the repository via cli, its working and takes about 40 seconds to list all backups.

Is there any solution for the gui timeout or am i doing something wrong?

Best regards
Ralph

Hello everyone,

i've a running proxmox server and rented a pbs access from a service provider for backups.
Everything was absolutely fine with it.
But now after some time and a lot of more backups, i've the following problem.

i get communication failure (0)" (somtimes a "Connection timed out (596) really seldom) when i try to "list" the backups via gui.
If i list the repository via cli, its working and takes about 40 seconds to list all backups.

Is there any solution for the gui timeout or am i doing something wrong?

Best regards
Ralph
Hi, how many backups are we talking about here? Maybe you can reorganize the backups into namespaces so that not all of them have to be fetched/listed from a single api call? See https://pbs.proxmox.com/docs/storage.html#backup-namespaces

Hi Chris,

thank you very much for the fast reply :)
after checking i recognized that we have really a lot of backups in the same name-space :(
thought we set it up with different namespaces but i was wrong.

is it possible to move existing backups into different namespaces? (sorry if its another dumb question)

Best regards
Ralph

You could do this by creating the namespace and then moving the backups via a local since job.

Hello @Chris .
I encounter the same problem. Don't you think it would be wise to change this problem in the development of PBS since a lot of people encounter this problem.

Hello @Chris .
I encounter the same problem. Don't you think it would be wise to change this problem in the development of PBS since a lot of people encounter this problem.
Yes, I think we should introduce pagination support for the listing. Please open a bug report at https://bugzilla.proxmox.com/ so we can keep track of the issue and you get notified on status updates, thanks.

We are having this issue also here and it makes me some kind of nervous. We split in to namespaces but it will not realy work. So you guys realy have to take care on it. In our case it is the backup from a single vm and I wnat to sea the backups of it and I still get a timeout here.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!