[SOLVED] command ifreload -a failed: exit code 1

dgullett

Dec 27, 2023
issue:
command ifreload -a failed: exit code 1

History:
- I have 2 Proxmox Server(s) PVE01 and PVE02.
- I moved a working network card out of 01 into 02 and got this error "command ifreload -a failed: exit code 1" when I apply changes to network. I moved the card back to 01, and it works fine.
- I have read all the posts I could with no luck
- My Linux (Debian) skills are low (newbie). Any help in fixing this issue would be appreciated.

Commands to Troubleshoot issues:
- cat /etc/network/interfaces
- dpkg -l |grep ifupdown2
- ifreload -a -d

Attached File Included:

Attachments

• command ifreload failed exit code 1.txt
    66.9 KB · Views: 3
Issue Resolved:
Yes

Issue Description:
When I installed quad-port network cards to an existing Proxmox server that only had 2 NIC's at the time I started getting "command ifreload -a failed: exit code 1" in the Web GUI when I would update anything surrounding comments or anything about the interface.

Solution:
I removed all the cards and configuration for all the vmbr(x) and then all the physical nic's and rebooted. What I found was that when I only had 2 NIC's, the interface name was enp6s0 and mapped in /etc/network/interfaces. But when I started adding NICs, the "Network Interface Name" increased by 1 so enp6s0 became enp7s0, and as I added cards and rebooted and added a cards and rebooted, the "Network Interface Name" would increase by 1, not just on one NIC but on all the ones that got added. So I had orphaned "Network Interface Name" associated with vmbr(x). So the "command ifreload -a failed: exit code 1" was from an incorrect mapping of "Network Interface Name". After the cleanup and correct mapping of "Network Interface Name," the issue went away because it was now correctly set up.

Root Cause:
User (me) lol

Reference Material:
How to Use the ip Command on Linux (howtogeek.com)
enp0s3: The network interface name as a string. The "en" stands for ethernet, "p0" is the bus number of the ethernet card, and "s3" is the slot number.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!