clvm in proxmox 4.1

Frakir

Jan 20, 2016
Hello,

I have a cluster of proxmox 4.1, all servers are connected to SAN but clvm doesn't work:(
I can't start clvmd. The cluster works, corosync works, but clvmd doesn't start.

root@s1:~# pveversion
pve-manager/4.1-5/f910ef5c (running kernel: 4.2.6-1-pve)

root@s1:~# service clmv start
Failed to start clmv.service: Unit clmv.service failed to load: No such file or directory.
root@s1:~# clvmd -f
Can't initialise cluster interface.
root@s1:~# journalctl -b | grep clvm
Feb 01 13:43:27 p7 clvmd[7591]: Unable to create DLM lockspace for CLVM: Success

What's wrong? What did I miss?

Best regards,
Serge

a default setup with SAN does not need clvm - why do you need this?

I have access to the SAN from all servers in the cluster.
How can I use it? Maybe I'm wrong and I don't need clustered lvm?

I'tm trying to create lvm and use it as shared lvm from all servers.
As I understand, I have to make clustered lvm (vgcreate -c y c-vg1 /dev/dm-0).
After that I can't connect to it and proxmox doesn't see it:

root@s1:~# pvdisplay
connect() failed on local socket: В соединении отказано
Internal cluster locking initialisation failed.
WARNING: Falling back to local file-based locking.
Volume Groups with the clustered attribute will be inaccessible.
Skipping clustered volume group c-vg1
Cannot process volume group c-vg1

As I understand, I have to make clustered lvm (vgcreate -c y c-vg1 /dev/dm-0).

no, you do not need clustered LVM - Proxmox VE got an own integrated locking mechanism.

Reactions: Frakir
Hello , I have the same problem. I made upgrade cluster PVE 3.4.x to 4.2 .

How do you solve it ?

no, you do not need clustered LVM - Proxmox VE got an own integrated locking mechanism.

Just to be sure I'm understanding the conclusions of this thread could you confirm that I do not need cluster lvm when building a volume group (for VM images) over a drbd storage shared in primary/primary mode between two pve cluster nodes ?
(Using proxmox 4.2)

confirm that I do not need cluster lvm when building a volume group (for VM images) over a drbd storage shared in primary/primary mode between two pve cluster nodes ?
)

Yes, as long as you use the pve tools/GUI to manage volumes. But primary/primary mode is not recommended anymore - we now use drbdmanage ...

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!