Cluster upgrade: Best practice?

mlanner

Renowned Member
Apr 1, 2009
Berkeley, CA
Hi,

I've done cluster upgrades quite a few times, but because it's not that often that I do it, I don't recall my exact steps. I looked at the wiki, but I couldn't find much in terms of procedures for upgrading a cluster. That said, I should probably document how I do it. But before I before I go ahead with my next upgrade, I just wanted to check here if anyone has input on "best practices" in terms of how to perform a cluster upgrade?

My gut feeling is that it is best to do the upgrade on the master first. However, I may be completely wrong about that and would appreciate any feedback. Also, is it best to shut down all machines on all cluster nodes before an upgrade, or is it enough to shut down the guest VMs on the node being updated?

Any tips, thoughts and recommendations are greatly appreciated.

nothing special, shutdown all VM/CT´s and upgrade. if there is an kernel upgrade you need a reboot. do this on all nodes. as long as you have a standard setup issues are quite rare.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!