[SOLVED] Cluster template "VM with name = debian-10 does not exist in cluster"

I am experimenting a while with different configurations and setups trying to use a central VM template for the whole cluster. We are using a cluster with enabled Ceph integration.

Currently the template VM is being installed on a RBD storage which is available to every node. Unfortunately the template itself is only shown on the node where the template was initially created (we are using Packer for that step).

So even though i am able to create a linked clone on a separate node i wonder what happens if the node containing the template vm is down? How am i able to make the template accessible on each node even if the cluster is degraded?

Any hint would be appreciated since the documentation is not explicitly describing this detail.

/edit

After having posted the thread before i kept starring at the issue and i missed posting the error message i got when trying to use the VM template:

Code:
VM with name = debian-10 does not exist in cluster

Last edited:
It turned out i was missing a user change between the deployment of the template (using Packer) and the cloning of that VM template, which is being done using an API token.

It turned out it didn't work (and couldn't see the VM template in the cluster) because the token missed the according Permission:

Code:
PVETemplateUser

I hope this helps anybody facing the same issue.

Reactions: pebbles

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!