Cluster removal

sysadminarchive

Dec 19, 2018
Hello

I recently was looking into creating a cluster and adding a few servers into it. Just wanted to see how the cluster is made so I made one on a production server. Which was a mistake.

I then realised that the server should join a cluster, not create one and once you create a cluster, you can't join another one. I have multiple VMs running in my Proxmox server.

How would one go about removing the cluster from that server. I didn't add any other servers to the cluster.
I looked up some guides, but those mention a loss of VMs which is very bothersome.

Is there a way to remove a cluster that does not have any other servers added to it?

Hi :)
I have same problem in the past but i can't find a solution for this, to remove cluster safe with no error in the future.
What i suggest for you:
1.If you have different storage (for ex you have secondary 4 6 hdd in raid mounted into a folder like home2 where you have all virtual disk for vms into images folder) for os and for vm's virtual disk steps are:
-copy content of the /etc/pve/nodes/pve/qemu-server (conf file for all vm's) into your pc
-reinstall proxmox into same storage (be carefful because you don't want to form your hdd where you have virtual disk's for vm)
- mount again that second hdd where you have images for vm's into same location like in the present
-copy from your pc into /etc/pve/nodes/pve/qemu-server all conf file
-95% all vms work fine :D
2. if you have 1 storage for all (os and vm images) do same steps like for the first situation but firstly go into /var/lib/vz/images (if you use diractory with ext4 for filesystem) or where you have virtual disk copy all into other server/comp and when you finish all steps from 1 situation copy again into same location all virtual images :)

Have a nice day,
Alin :)

Hi :)
I have same problem in the past but i can't find a solution for this, to remove cluster safe with no error in the future.
What i suggest for you:
1.If you have different storage (for ex you have secondary 4 6 hdd in raid mounted into a folder like home2 where you have all virtual disk for vms into images folder) for os and for vm's virtual disk steps are:
-copy content of the /etc/pve/nodes/pve/qemu-server (conf file for all vm's) into your pc
-reinstall proxmox into same storage (be carefful because you don't want to form your hdd where you have virtual disk's for vm)
- mount again that second hdd where you have images for vm's into same location like in the present
-copy from your pc into /etc/pve/nodes/pve/qemu-server all conf file
-95% all vms work fine :D
2. if you have 1 storage for all (os and vm images) do same steps like for the first situation but firstly go into /var/lib/vz/images (if you use diractory with ext4 for filesystem) or where you have virtual disk copy all into other server/comp and when you finish all steps from 1 situation copy again into same location all virtual images :)

Have a nice day,
Alin :)

Thank you Alin. It's weird how it's so simple to create the cluster, but so hard to remove. I think this is really a fault in Proxmox.
Copying hundreds of gb of data over and reinstalling Proxmox just because you accidentally created a cluster seems like something that shouldn't be possible.

I'll keep the thread open a little bit to see if there are any other options. A staff member reply would be great, but we'll see.

First stop the corosync and the pve-cluster services on the node:

systemctl stop pve-cluster
systemctl stop corosync
Start the cluster filesystem again in local mode:

pmxcfs -l
Delete the corosync configuration files:

rm /etc/pve/corosync.conf
rm /etc/corosync/*
You can now start the filesystem again as normal service:

killall pmxcfs
systemctl start pve-cluster

Reactions: Chummers
nope because you have conf file for vms into /etc/pve/qemu-servers and virtual disk are located into other location.
For example for 1 directory as storage used for os and for vms location is /var/lib/vz/images :)

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!