Cluster Gateway 2 Nodes

Ben McGuire

Sep 14, 2016
We have just about outgrown our dedicated server and need to purchase a larger one to accommodate our increasing VM growth.
Rather than migrate from the old to the new server as this would require gateway changes which customers would not want to do - we have decided to add the second new server and create a cluster.

Our severs are with OVH and as you probably know they have specific networking requirements.

Our concerns are these - once we purchase the new server we will be given a new IP and gateway address and we do not know how this new gateway will work in a cluster setting as technically we would have a gateway for one server and a gateway for the other. If we were to create a cluster with 2 servers then how do we manage gateways?

Proxmox Clusters are expected to be in the same LAN, because the underlying protocol needs a very low latency ( ping between two nodes is expected to be below 5ms ) So first make sure with OVH that the servers are in the same datacenter or even better on the same rack.

Thanks for the reply Manu.

yes the second server will be in the same datacenter but I will ask if it can be in the same rack. Can you please shed some light on my question about the second gateway. I am trying to get my head around how routing works in a cluster environment as there technically will be two gateways and things such as live migration will not work as we have static ips on our vms that have the gateway set for the first server so if we migrate a vm to the second server it will lose connectivity as it will be looking for the gateway of the original server.

Yes live migration will be a problem, because the OVH router will not forward your packets, not to talk about the OVH switches detecting new Macs adresses after the migration if you're in bridge mode.
I suggest to contact OVH and ask them for a bigger IP adress range where all your VMs and your two nodes can be in the same network segment. Remember also the ping requirements between your two machines.

Use the vRack and it will be your net! No change of gateway or something like that.

google ovh vrack proxmox

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!