Cluster for testing purpose

mmartincho

Renowned Member
Jul 14, 2012
Hi!

I have single instances installations and I'm planning to deploy 3 nodes cluster using iscsi as external storage. My questiong is I have diferent hardware configuration on each node, (RAM, CPU and disk capacities)

Can I build the cluster with this type of servers?

Regards!
Martín

Hi!

I have single instances installations and I'm planning to deploy 3 nodes cluster using iscsi as external storage. My questiong is I have diferent hardware configuration on each node, (RAM, CPU and disk capacities)

Can I build the cluster with this type of servers?

Regards!
Martín
Hi Martin,
what kind of "type of servers"?

But yes, you can use different hardware if the have enough resources.

Udo

Hi Martin!

Definitely no problem in having cluster members that are different (aka not-identical). I am uncertain, how live migration copes when (if) you moved from <>To dissimilar CPU type (ie, AMD on box1 and Intel on box2?) but maybe someone else knows answer; or possibly you have not such difference in mind. (ie, all systems are intel CPU, for example 2 are 'bigger' i7 with 32gb ram each and 1 is 'smaller' i3 with 8gb ram. In such a scenario the i3 system plays important role as quorum / even if it does not host lots of VMs.

Since proxmox is debian-under-hood it will run on very diverse hardware. Main constraint is to limit your performance expectations to match the hardware upon which you have deployed it. (ie, gig-ether iSCSI will be a performance bottleneck, {if compared to non-shared local SAS raid disk storage for example} -- for one example, but it will be quite functional I am sure. NFS might be simpler and some scenarios slightly better performance .. sometimes is worth testing ..)

Tim

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!