Cluster considerations and questions

BiagioParuolo

Apr 29, 2009
Salerno - Italy
Hi,

I've some questions on Proxmox cluster.

1) How Do cluster work? Is it a prerequisite a shared storage? Do Proxmox move vms on other nodes in one node goes down?

2) Is it good to have 2 net cards?

3) Is it possible to build a cluster with 2 node without shared storage ( ex: 2 ProxMox server )? If yes: How Sync data?

4) Is there a shell script to made backup ( with snapshot and not ( because I've not LVM )) and send backup file via rsync? Are there possibile incremental backups? A 30Gb vm request 1h...

Thanks in advance.

Hi,

I've some questions on Proxmox cluster.

1) How Do cluster work? Is it a prerequisite a shared storage? Do Proxmox move vms on other nodes in one node goes down?

its a central configuration and management system. there is no shared storage needed by default but if you want KVM live migration you need some shared storage or DRBD. in the current 1.x series no HA is implemented, see roadmap for 2.0.

2) Is it good to have 2 net cards?

not needed by default but depends on your needs.

3) Is it possible to build a cluster with 2 node without shared storage ( ex: 2 ProxMox server )? If yes: How Sync data?

yes. the cluster configuration is synced via ssh tunnel (but will change in 2.0)

4) Is there a shell script to made backup ( with snapshot and not ( because I've not LVM )) and send backup file via rsync? Are there possibile incremental backups? A 30Gb vm request 1h...

Thanks in advance.
The Proxmox VE solutions is vzdump. if you need anything else you need to think by yourself. vzdump also works without lvm, but with downtimes.

Thank your for your reply.

1) So, I need to start vms manually on other nodes. Is it right?

2) for moving machines

3) sync: it means that if I've a vm1 on node1, vm file is send to node2 without my intervention. Is it right?

Have you some example on cluster?

Thank your for your reply.

1) So, I need to start vms manually on other nodes. Is it right?
yes, and you also need to copy the content of /etc/qemu-server/ to your other host (this is for KVM only).

3) sync: it means that if I've a vm1 on node1, vm file is send to node2 without my intervention. Is it right?
no. with the current cluster you can connect to the gui of the master and you can create and manage VM´s on all cluster members. there is no automatic failover out of the box. but again, the whole cluster management is changed in 2.0.

Ok for v2. So:

- I need copy via Rsync /etc/qemu-server/ and vm files ( are under? ) to other nodes
- I need to start up the vms

Now, the cluster is only for management and not for what we need a cluster.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!