cluster and VM boot order - race conditions - best practice?

sigmarb

Nov 8, 2016
Hi folks,

we have several multi-node proxmox clusters. Sometimes we have to cold-start all nodes (full power outtake onsite) that causes a race-condition between VMs.

Servers start before firewall/domain controllers are up. (wrong network profiles on windows)
Application servers start before sql-server is up and so on (manual intervention required).

I'm aware that one can not set boot order in case of cluster management is on. How do you handle this situation?

I was thinking about simply keep all machines in state 'ignored' in HA/resources menu and start them in pre-defined order by skript.
However this causes problems when one node goes down as the cluster does not feel responsible for the VMs anymore.

Ideas/thoughts?

We do not have the manpower to have 24/7 staff avail to start VMs manually in order after power outtake.

Thank you.

What about VM->Options->Start/Shutdown Order?

You're right, did get the meaning wrong here thought you were thinking about using HA, not already using it.

In general this looks like an orchestration problem, an easy solution would be to restart the service/vm which isn't running properly.
Let HA handle the start part and just use your script to shutdown guests with services reporting problems.

Even if there would be an option, how would it look like?
I mean if something happens on boot or the service isn't starting fast enough, still an issue.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!