Cloud-init and Network Configuration Issue in Proxmox VE

yercloud

Sep 7, 2023
Hello everyone,

I wanted to share an issue I encountered while working with Proxmox VE New versions (After 7.1) regarding cloud-init and network configuration. It seems that there have been changes in behavior from older versions, and I wanted to discuss this for the benefit of the community.

When we create a virtual machine (VM) using cloud-init in Proxmox VE, the VM configuration appears as follows:

Code:
update VM <vmid>: -delete net0
update VM <vmid>: -cipassword <hidden> -ciuser root -cores <x> -cpu kvm64 -cpulimit <x> -description Client: <Client info> -kvm 1 -memory <x> -name <host> -scsi0 local-lvm:vm-<vmid>-disk-0,cache=none,replicate=0,size=20G,iothread=1 -scsihw lsi -sockets 2 -vcpus <x> -vga std

However, there is no information about the network configuration, which is a crucial part of any VM setup.

To create a template, we used the following command:

Code:
qm set <vmtemplateid> --ide2 local-lvm:cloudinit

It's worth noting that this issue started appearing after upgrading to Proxmox VE 7.4. In older versions, the <vmid> configuration would remove net0, and in the next update, it would add and set the IP accordingly. However, in Proxmox VE 7.4, it seems that this behavior has changed.

I wanted to bring this issue to the community's attention and see if anyone has encountered a similar problem or if there are any workarounds or solutions available. Your insights and experiences would be greatly appreciated.

Let's discuss this further and try to find a resolution together.

Best regards,

update VM <vmid>: -delete net0
You're actively deleting the network adapter. This and the missing `ipconfig` option mean there will be no network device, and no network configuration at all.
This was already the case in PVE 6. Nothing changed here.

Do you use custom scripts or 3rd party plugins to create those cloud-init VMs?

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!