Cloning Proxmox VE hard disk to SSD with the same size.

LeoTecno

Sep 26, 2023
Hi! I would like to switch from a hard disk to an ssd with the same size, in my proxmox server. If i clone them with Clonezilla, does everything work or do i have to make changes? Thanks!

Last edited:
Hi,

I would try to use zfs send/recive from hdd to ssd, this is much safe, simple and faster.

Good luck/Bafta!
He is probably not using ZFS when using a single system disk and even then stuff like the ESP/bootloader would be missing as this is never ZFS.
So I would stay on the block level for cloning it.

Or aren't we talking about a bootable system disk?

Last edited:
He is probably not using ZFS when using a single system disk and even then stuff like the ESP/bootloader would be missing as this is never ZFS.
So I would stay on the block level for cloning it.

Or aren't we talking about a bootable system disk?
I've never heard of ZFS and i have a single disk in my proxmox server. So if i clone it with Clonezilla is it ok?

Sorry, just some info. Is it normal that Clonezilla has been cloning Proxmox's disk for almost two days now :)?

indeed, it should be done in less than 2h , if source disk is read at 100 MB/s ...

The question is if it would read/write with 100MB/s. I remember a "dd -bs=512B" not being fast...not sure what blocksize clonezilla will be using...

Last edited:
Which tool did you choose to use? "dd"? Please post the command you executed!

Without any explicit "status=progress" option "dd" runs silently and does not show what is happening.

Read (for example, first hit in my search engine) https://www.baeldung.com/linux/dd-monitor-progress to learn how to tell the running "dd" to tell the progress by using a signal called USR1.

Good luck

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!