ClearOS template

bollerup

Apr 2, 2012
Hi,

I am extremely interested in seeing ClearOS 5.x and/or 6.x versions as a container for OpenVZ - i would also be willing to dedicate time to making one and sharing it with the community if anyone could point me in the right direction.

I know that its based on CentOS

some core functions of ClearOS will not work on OpenVZ, so I suggest you just install as KVM guest.

Hi,

Actually, i know the talks regarding that - and the issue is the naming of the network interfaces - if you want it to work as a network router.

But ClearOS can also run in a "normal" mode, wich makes it a very ideal network server for smallbiz.

Running it as a VM is no problem, we allready do that via hyper-v servers today - works like a charm.

However, it would be so much more nicer to do it via proxmox.

Did you ever asked the clearOS dev´s if the provide OpenVZ template?

E.g. some time ago, Turnkey Linux added support for OpenVZ and we integrated their appliances in our downloader.

We have a tool for building templates, called dab. But this is for Debian only.

Actually.. yes we did.. we contacted the clear foundation with a promise of a pot of gold if they would make a version for Proxmox and "donate" it to proxmox.

.. havent recieved an answer yet tho :-/

.. hence i moved to the next one.. do it ourself...

I know about the dab tool, have been using it to build a few.. but seeing that ClearOS was build on CentOS.. it should be pretty easy.. right ?

Did you ever asked the clearOS dev´s if the provide OpenVZ template?

ClearOS dev here. Is creating the template just a matter of tweaking the Creating_a_CentOS_6_Template instructions for ClearOS? We can certainly take care of that.

some core functions of ClearOS will not work on OpenVZ

bollerup alluded to network card naming conventions. Could anyone elaborate? Is it something we can resolve?

I'd like to kick some life into this suggestion. Too bad the ClearOS dev's - Peter Baldwin's query here above didn't receive any response. But that was in April before the Proxmox v3 release.

In the light of Proxmox v3 and the new possibility of creating KVM templates, is there some issue still to be overcome regarding the making of ClearOS template?

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!