Cleaning up "local" storage

hobsoni

Jul 22, 2022
Hi alll,
I moved my USB drive, and the cable came part-way out. Result was that my backups went onto local as well as usb-drive. By that I mean, PVE managed to map both labels to the same place. local is 100GB, so it ran out of space, and I did not notice for 3 weeks. No biggie - I have not needed the backups.

I have now sorted the problem and proxmox is working properly again. but local is 86GB and yet appears to be empty.

local is of type disk, and is 100GB total size, with 86.6GB used.

Found the Data-center/Storage/local/edit function and was able to add all types of storage but it still shows nothing.

I had a look in /etc/pve/storage.cfg and that pointed me to /var/lib/vz, but that only contains a few directories and log files (<1MB in total).

So what is taking up 86GB and how can I get the storage space back? Preferably without destroying the whole setup :)

Regards

Ian

Last edited:
So what is taking up 86GB and how can I get the storage space back?
You had defined the drive to be mounted.

Then it was not mounted and neverteless wrote data - this landed on the system disk.

Now you've mounted the drive again. There is still data "hidden below" that mount.

Solution: unmount the drive and then peek into the now not-mounted mountpoint. You will find that data there... and may delete it :)

Please search for "is_mountpoint" as a specific configuration option to avoid this effect...

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!