Choose the brand of hard drives enterprise class

cesarpk

Mar 31, 2012
Hi to all

Excuse me people please if I am posting a thread that not directly concern to PVE.

My problem is that i need to buy by Internet two equal HDDs of enterprise class, but I had read that WD/HGST don't give new firmwares for old WD HDDs models, please see this post http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1482721 .

I have the fear of buying something blind that not work properly, or that it does not work for long time..

In my posibilities of purchase i can buy:
- Western Digital WD1002FBYS
- Hitachi HUA721010KLA330
- Seagate ST31000340NS
- Can be other brands of similar priced (+/- us$ 47 by each unit + shipping costs)

The targets are:
1- Support of the Brand if i will have problems.
2- Much time of durability of these HDDs.
3- These HDDs regularly will be transported into the PC case and in the trunk of the car ( :( ) (The Vibration will give me problems? ).

Any kind of suggestion or comment is welcome

Thanks
Cesar

I have this disk from Seagate: ST2000DM001 Barracuda 7200.14. It is almost 2 years old and two days ago I upgraded the firmware using this link: https://apps1.seagate.com/downloads/request.html. There was a tools for Linux which could update the firmware from cli without the need for reboot or offlining the disk. When the script is run it automatically fetch and write the proper firmware to the drive (This is only for Linux. Windows, *bsd and Solaris requires you to boot on a boot iso and run a dos tool for doing the same). I don't have any WD Red drives so I cannot tell whether they firmware upgrades as easy but my next storage build will be equipped with WD Red 1 TB 2,5" disks.

I have this disk from Seagate: ST2000DM001 Barracuda 7200.14. It is almost 2 years old and two days ago I upgraded the firmware using this link: https://apps1.seagate.com/downloads/request.html. There was a tools for Linux which could update the firmware from cli without the need for reboot or offlining the disk. When the script is run it automatically fetch and write the proper firmware to the drive (This is only for Linux. Windows, *bsd and Solaris requires you to boot on a boot iso and run a dos tool for doing the same). I don't have any WD Red drives so I cannot tell whether they firmware upgrades as easy but my next storage build will be equipped with WD Red 1 TB 2,5" disks.

Mir, many thanks for your prompt response - :), but i don't know if for drive the car with the PCs on the trunk, the HDDs slowly were decomposed (2 HDDs were decomposed in different times, the brands were Seagate and Samsung, both were for home or Desktop class, I also believe that the vibration of the car in motion is a factor very important, then i need HDDS of high durability and shock resistant (my case is very special, excuse me Mir, but i don't want to know anything about of Desktop HDDs), and is for that that i believe that i need HDDs of enterprise class or HDDs for Notebooks ( ¿? ).

More comments will be welcome.

Best regards
Cesar

Last edited:
I wasn't suggesting you to by desktop class HDD's. I was merely showing that Seagate at least provides firmware for disks 2 years old. If they do this for desktop class HDD's I would expect the same for enterprise grade HDD's as well.

I wasn't suggesting you to by desktop class HDD's. I was merely showing that Seagate at least provides firmware for disks 2 years old. If they do this for desktop class HDD's I would expect the same for enterprise grade HDD's as well.

Good point mir, thanks for your answer, I did not think of that.

On the other hand, I know of much people with HDDs Segate decomposed, may be that in this country if you want purchase a single HDD for Home/Desktop, the unique brand that is possible buy is Seagate. In my particular case, from +/- 2008 or 2010 at now, in my PC Desktop I had to change the HDDs Seagate +/- each 2 years, sincerely I am disappointed with this brand.

To anybody that can help me, I always wait some opinion about my problem.

Best regards
Cesar

The Seagate was a test buy but it actually performs well and after almost 2 years of usage still no bad sectors. I normally buy Western Digital and lately also Samsung but I tend to favor Western Digital so from now on I will replace failed drives with WD Red. I have no experience with Hitachi so I cannot account for this brand.

The Seagate was a test buy but it actually performs well and after almost 2 years of usage still no bad sectors. I normally buy Western Digital and lately also Samsung but I tend to favor Western Digital so from now on I will replace failed drives with WD Red. I have no experience with Hitachi so I cannot account for this brand.

Hi Mir

In the link proportionate by Flow, in the "36 Month survival rate" graph we can see that Hitachi is the best, also i can say that Hitachi is the brand preferred by IBM and DELL, then now i have my favorite brand (at least for now).

Other good point of that link is that the post of "Sandon Van Ness - Lab Manager at Inktank Storage" say "the seagate ones almost always have re-allocations and other health issues", and show us a link "http://pastebin.com/RdUvQqbH" in that we can see that Seagate have several inconveniences before his discomposure and compares them with other brands - So, I want to know how do the same tests in Linux!!!. When I have time I will focus on it.

Best regards
Cesar

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!