checking file system with VM on-line

vitor costa

Oct 28, 2009
I want check filesystem consistence with the VMs on-line. I have many hosts with a lot off Linux Vms.... this VMs is stored in DRBD clusters...

So i try:

1) create a SNAPSHOT from a lvm disk (VM-XXX-disk-1) ,
2) create a loop device (losetup /dev/loop1 /dev/drbdvg/VM-XXX-disk-1 -o DDDD) , when DDDD=offset....
3) The filesystem apear ok in /dev/loop1 and is possible mount then
4) If VM is using LVM internal i can sucessfull mount the lvm inside the VM

The problem is: when i run fsck i receive inconsistence erros.... but if i stop the VM and run fsck all is ok.

So i think runing vm is not in the FS is not in a consistent state.... if its is true to run fsck is true inconsistent to Backup too... So how we can be sure about vzdump backup with snapshot mode ?

So i think runing vm is not in the FS is not in a consistent state.... if its is true to run fsck is true inconsistent to Backup too... So how we can be sure about vzdump backup with snapshot mode ?

A snapshot will always throw fsck errors - but that is no real problem because all FS/DB should be able to handle that (it is like a power loss on a physical host).

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!