Changing CPU type to "host" is causing period bugcheck reboots in Windows 11 VM

Lethargus

Jun 13, 2024
Short version:
Anyone changed CPU type on a Windows 11 VM and know how to get it to stop crashing?

Long version:
I set up a Windows 11 VM in VE 8.2.2 and didn't notice the CPU type was set to x86-64-v2 instead of host. It was set to single processor with 8 cores. Everything was running great, Nvidia GPU passed through, got many things set up, and then ran into something that wouldn't run due to lack of AVX. This is when I realized the problem. I shut down the VM, set the CPU to "host" (a Ryzen 9 3900X), and started it up again.

Everything seemed to be working great. AVX supported, things running. Proxmox showed no issues. However, when logged into the VM I noticed it rebooting every few minutes. Checking event log it's a bugcheck error 0x113 which appears to be something with DirectX. I updated the Nvidia drivers. Same issue. I ran DISM to attempt system repair (5 times thanks to the constant reboots) but it finally completed with no errors. Still crashing.

Changing the cpu type back to x86-64-v2 seems to have stabilized the VM again at the cost of AVX. Does anyone know what to do to let me switch the CPU type to "host" without crashes? I really really don't want to rebuild the VM from scratch at this point.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!