Changes between 6.0-11 and 6.1-5 (ZFS-Disks "unavailable" --> resilvering in cycles)

nobody

Feb 22, 2019
Hi,

I am a long term Proxmox user (> 5 years) and currently running on Proxmox 6.0-11 with some 4 Debian and Ubultu LXCs and one Windows 10 VM running rock solid in a singly server setup.
Disk setup is two Samsung Datacenter Class SSDs for the mirrored rpool (ZFS).
4x Seagate ST4000 for data in a mirrored setup (Adaptec PCI-E SAS controller).
1x Seagate 3TB Drive USB 3 connected for Backup.

I updated to 6.1-5 (without warnings or alike) and realized after some 10 Minutes after reboot that the server was unresponsive.
The WebUI at that time changed and showed only grey ? status of all Containers and VMs.
On the console I realized that the 4 Seagate disks / zfs went into a (zpool status -v) "STATE: unavailable" --> resilvering, with randomly changing drives being unavailable.
Importing the USB pool showed errors as well. The rpool was totally unaffected, running normal ...

I immediately set the rpool back to the last snapshot, which was 6.0-11 (Kernel 5.0.21-4-pve) and everything instantly after reboot went back to normal operation. Unfortunately I did not copy the logs before going back ...

Nevertheless ... has anyone had an equal experience? I read something about the 5.3 kernel to have issues with USB connected disks?
Are there any changes between these two versions that could result in such weird behavior?

Regards and "Happy New Year"!
Rainer

Hi,

I'm not aware of any bug in this context.
But did you have on the SAS Controller the latest firmware version?
We often see that old firmware is not compatible with current driver implementations.

Thanks Wolfgang ... I'll check on the Adaptec firmware release ... I doubt that it is the most recent as it was rock solid so far and I tend to go with "don't change a running system -- if not needed" in terms of FW/Bios and alike ...

Regards,
Rainer

In times where Meltdown, Spectre, and other HW bugs are out there, you should consider your attitude about this.
HW can also have bugs, and if you read the changelogs of the firmware, you know why you should update them.

@wolfgang: Maybe right ... in this case (a simple Adaptec 6405H Controller) the last FW Update provided by Adaptec for that type of controller was 2014. So mine is "up-to-date" ...
@cpzengel: No autotrim, I am trimming the SSDs once a week via cron ... no issues whatsoever with trim in my setup ... but thanks for the hint!

Regards,
Rainer

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!