Changed IP, then cannot login via GUI - but can login via CLI

ameador1

Mar 25, 2022
So, I used the GUI on the PVE in question (pve3) which is in a cluster - uwpve. I went into System/Networking, edited vmbro and changed the IP address from 10.90.1.247 ti 10.90.1.7 and the gateway. Applied the Configuration. Then tried browsing to the new address. It comes up and asks me to log in, but it only says the Login Failed and won't let me login.

So, I used ssh and connected to 10.90.1.7 and can login with the same username and password that is now failing in the GUI. I edited /etc/network/interfaces and changed the IP address back to 10.90.1.247 - but left the gateway on the new IP. Saved. Rebooted.

Browsed to 10.90.1.247 and now the login works fine.

So, this GUI way, and manually editing /etc/network/interfaces and /etc/hosts to change the addresses both cause the same issue. I cannot login via the GUI if I change the IP address - but I can if I set it back to 10.90.1.279.

Can anyone explain what I am doing wrong and what to do to allow me to change the IP and retain full access to the system?

Thanks!

Read over this to make sure you followed all the steps. Check your DNS from the proxmox GUI if that changed with this IP address shift. Make sure you flush your browser cache.

https://www.servethehome.com/how-to-change-primary-proxmox-ve-ip-address/
This is not the solution. This link you provided does what I had said I already did - modifying the /etc/network/interfaces and /etc/hosts files. It seems the issue here is the fact that this is a cluster and not a singular node. I'm posting the actual solution in another reply to myself in this thread.

The issue seems to be that this is a cluster. Almost all of the examples I have found for changing the IP of a Proxmox node match what I stated that I have already tried - but this does not work when the nodes are already part of a cluster.

I finally came across a full solution that worked - posted by another user here in the Proxmox forums - BUT, so far this is the ONLY full solution I have found. I'm very happy that this user posted their full solution. Here is a link to the post (the full solution is at the end of the thread).: https://forum.proxmox.com/threads/change-ip-of-cluster-node.106676/post-459672

Reactions: joaquim22

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!