Change/add content type in Storage configuration.

Forssux

Mar 27, 2022
Hi there,

All the storage configurations in Proxmox are using a define set of content types that are slightly different depending on whitch storage type is used.
For example images rootdir vztmpl iso backup snippets is used for the Directory backend.
Where is this done/configuered?
I would like to add one especially for Directory and the CIFS backend called "Existing" where no subdirectory is created.
I understand this is only a small inconveniences but still a route I would like to explore.
Good readers understand that it's purpose is to monitor "colder" storage and thus Proxmox acting more like a NAS.
best regards

Are you saying I could just remove the content images line?
I removed the line and rebooted theserver, the subdir came back.

Last edited:
You just asked where content types are configured. The webUI will just modified the line in that file. And I meant not to delete the complete line (as it then masbe use some defaults?) but the content types you don't want for that storage. Iso, template and backup content types will always create a new subdirectory when selected as ISOs, templates and backups can only be found when stored in that spicific subdirectory. If you put your files somewhere else in that storage they are not usable.

May I take this up again for a second?

I have a SMB share mounted on my Proxmox host solely to be able to pass it on to a (unprivileged) LXC. It contains data files that have nothing to do with Proxmox' storage logic.

What content type should I use for such a generic share? I don't want any directories created by Proxmox. Is this "content rootdir"?

I can't set this content type from the GUI. Does "rootdir" always have to be entered manually into storage.cfg?

I have a SMB share mounted on my Proxmox host solely to be able to pass it on to a (unprivileged) LXC. It contains data files that have nothing to do with Proxmox' storage logic.
Then you usually would mount it outside of PVE via autofs or fstab so its not used as a PVE storage at all.

What content type should I use for such a generic share? I don't want any directories created by Proxmox. Is this "content rootdir"?
PVE will force you to select a content type and whatever you select it will create a subdir.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!