Ceph storage

yakakliker

Renowned Member
May 19, 2011
France
It will be probably a stupid question but I haven't find the response.

In the wiki ( http://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Storage:_Ceph ), you said we need 3 servers minimum.

- Why 3 servers ?

- Are the 3 servers need to be the same ?

- Can i have only 2 big ceph storage (mirroring) ?

Sorry for this question but i try to understand how it works ...

yakakliker,

My understanding is that with ceph they allow for 1, 3, 5 or 7 monitor nodes. 1 is not recommended as it would mean there is a single point of failure that could bring down the whole cluster. 3 is recommended for small to medium and 5 & 7 for large to very large clusters.

I think they allow for just one monitor for evaluation only normal operation requires an odd number for a 'quorum'.

-Glen

yakakliker,

My understanding is that with ceph they allow for 1, 3, 5 or 7 monitor nodes. 1 is not recommended as it would mean there is a single point of failure that could bring down the whole cluster. 3 is recommended for small to medium and 5 & 7 for large to very large clusters.

I think they allow for just one monitor for evaluation only normal operation requires an odd number for a 'quorum'.

-Glen

Thanks for the answer,

If i have understood :

I must have 3 monitor nodes and X osd nodes.

OSD nodes are the "storage"

1 OSD disk is the journal (so on the 3 server)

1 or more OSD disks are the "datas storage" ( on the 3 servers ???)

In this wiki, (in french) https://projets.anotherservice.com/projects/as-infra/wiki/Installation_de_Ceph , there are 2 OSD for storage

[osd.0]

host = as-001.anotherservice.com
devs = /dev/sdc
addr = 5.135.139.216

[osd.1]

host = as-002.anotherservice.com
devs = /dev/sdc
addr = 5.39.73.107

But i'm not sur i have all understood.

Is it OK ?

Sorry but I don't have a lot of knowledge on ceph at the moment. I was just responding on one point (in regards to monitor nodes) that I just finished reading about. As for the osd's, I think you need to have at least 3 for redundancy but like I mentioned, they allow for less so that you can test on a single server. Not that this is recommended for normal usage.

I would recommend seeking more info from ceph's forums for ceph related topics.

-Glen

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!