Ceph RBD pool not showing up in Proxmox UI?

victorhooi

Apr 3, 2018
Hi,

I've just setup a new Proxmox 6.2 cluster with Ceph Octopus.

I've added a new Ceph RBD pool, and made sure to enable to add_storages:

Code:
# pveceph createpool vm_storage --add_storages 1 --pg_num 1024
However, the new pool isn't appearing on the dropdown of available storage - I only see the local ZFS pools and CephFS. Nor can I create or move VM disks to it - it's simply not available in any dropdowns.

Screen Shot 2020-11-21 at 3.40.43 am.png

I even tried destroying and recreating the pool via the web UI with the same options - it doesn't show up after that either:

Screen Shot 2020-11-21 at 3.42.25 am.png

The CephFS pool I created is showing up however, which is odd.

Any ideas what's going on?

Thanks,
Victor

However, the new pool isn't appearing on the dropdown of available storage
RBD has a content type of 'Disk-image' & 'Container'. I suppose, the drop down field is not for image creation.

Hi,

Thanks for replying! However, I think there is some misunderstanding.

To clarify - the "vm_storage" does appear in the Proxmox web UI, under the list of Ceph pools.

However, it does not appear on the left hand side, where it lists all the types of storage available to Proxmox.

I've added some annotations to the screenshot, to hopefully make it clearer:

Screen Shot 2020-11-21 at 3.40.43 am.png

However, I found that if I went to Datacenter, Storage, and "Add", I was able to add the RBD pool manually so Proxmox was aware of it:

Screen Shot 2020-11-23 at 10.50.12 pm.png

This seems like an error - normally when I create a new RBD pool in Proxmox, it also takes care of adding it to the list of Proxmox storages. Or has there been some change in Proxmox behaviour recently?

Thanks,
Victor

However, it does not appear on the left hand side, where it lists all the types of storage available to Proxmox.
Hm... did you clear the browser cache yet?

Hi Alwin,

Thanks for the suggestion - however, I do not believe this is a caching issue, as I have also verified the error using CLI tools only.

Also, I tested this with Chrome Incognito mode, which I believe should rule out caching issues.

Here are my reproduction steps on Proxmox 6.2:

1. List all of the current Ceph pools
Code:
# ceph osd  lspools
1 device_health_metrics
3 angus_cephfs_data
4 angus_cephfs_metadata
2. List all of the current Proxmox storages:
Code:
# pvesm status
Name                Type     Status           Total            Used       Available        %
angus_cephfs      cephfs     active     29079638016               0     29079638016    0.00%
local                dir     active       913998464        23616512       890381952    2.58%
local-zfs        zfspool     active       919040296        28658276       890382020    3.12%
And listing the /etc/pve/storage.cfg file:
Code:
# cat /etc/pve/storage.cfg
dir: local
    path /var/lib/vz
    content backup,iso,vztmpl

zfspool: local-zfs
    pool rpool/data
    content rootdir,images
    sparse 1

cephfs: angus_cephfs
    path /mnt/pve/angus_cephfs
    content vztmpl,backup,iso
3. Add a new Ceph RBD pool, and add it to Proxmox storage:
Code:
# pveceph createpool vm_storage --add_storages 1 --pg_num 1024
4. List the Ceph pools - our new pool is added:
Code:
# ceph osd lspools
1 device_health_metrics
3 angus_cephfs_data
4 angus_cephfs_metadata
7 vm_storage
5. List the Proxmox storages - our new Ceph pool is *not* added:
Code:
# pvesm status
Name                Type     Status           Total            Used       Available        %
angus_cephfs      cephfs     active     29079658496               0     29079658496    0.00%
local                dir     active       913998336        23616768       890381568    2.58%
local-zfs        zfspool     active       919039864        28658276       890381588    3.12%

What do you think? Could this be a bug?

Thanks,
Victor

Thanks for the suggestion - however, I do not believe this is a caching issue, as I have also verified the error using CLI tools only.
I can confirm the issue and I have a patch on the pve-devel list that will fix it. For the meantime you will need to add the storage manually.

Awesome - thank you!.

Glad we found the root cause.

One other question - for pveceph createpool - is there any argument to set the auto-scale behaviour at creation time? I couldn't find anything listed on the docs about autoscaling.

One other question - for pveceph createpool - is there any argument to set the auto-scale behaviour at creation time? I couldn't find anything listed on the docs about autoscaling.
This is included in pve-manager (6.2-13) over the API/CLI. This will be extended OFC.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!