Ceph OSD failure causing Proxmox node to crash

Trying to run some benchmark on this newly ext4 converted ceph cluster. Is it best to run 1 to 32 thread individual benchmark or without any thread mention -t is good enough? Which thread is it exactly, ceph disk thread or op thread?

Do i need to set filestore xattr use omap = true now that i have OSDs on ext4?
Hi,
AFAIK this parameter is (was?) only nessessary for cephfs. On the mailingliste was ask for the use with rbd; but no answer from the devs...

Due the now aktive parameter "filestore_omap_backend": "leveldb" I assume the extended attributes are not longer used...

Udo

Trying to run some benchmark on this newly ext4 converted ceph cluster. Is it best to run 1 to 32 thread individual benchmark or without any thread mention -t is good enough?
Hi,
depends what you like to meassure. A single VM use only one thread. With one thread you get only small writes/reads. With more threads (like many concurrent VM-access) you get better values.

I use simply without -t to compare different configs/setups. Sometimes also with -t 1.
Which thread is it exactly, ceph disk thread or op thread?
rbd threads. rados bench run on the "client" node. op treads are on the osd nodes (in your setup client + osd node are (partly) the same)

Udo

Would Ceph benefit from BBU cached RAID controller? or in JBOD mode cache does not come in effect in Ceph?

The write performance that you have posted so far Udo, are they on cached RAID card?

Finally ran some benchmarks on the cluster with SSD added for journals. To be honest not really sure what to make of it. Numbers do not look that great.
-Caches were dropped for each and every read.
-All OSDs benched at 200+ mb/s with #rados tell osd.<id> bench
-Each SSD used have 50,000+ IOPS
-Rados benchmarks was done for 1 to 16 threads.

Following are the screenshot for 4096, 131072 and 4M blocks from thread 1 to 16:
Block 4096
ssd-20-4096.PNG

Block 131072
ssd-20-131072.PNG

Block 4M
ssd-20-4m.PNG

Block Not Defined
ssd-20-no-block.PNG

In suggestions on how to improve this and what to check specifically is much appreciated.

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!