Ceph or DRBD or else for for 3 node cluster ?

tytanick

Feb 25, 2013
Hi
I have 3 nodes based on proxmox 4.2
On every node i have whole /dev/sdb free to use as shared ssd storage.

Now.. Tell me this?
I would like this shared storage to be stable because it will be in production :)
I want HA on cluster so i need shared storage - please suggest what is the best move for me:

a) drbd replication primary-primary on two nodes and leave third without drbd but only for cluster quorum ?
b) drbd on three nodes primary-primary-primary (might be unstable ?)
c) can i use ceph because moderator told me that i need more disks to make it wok ? is ist true ? Cant i use ceph on 4 nodes (on /dev/sdb ?)
d) can i use anything else as software shared storage?

Last edited:
DRBD9 could be a way, but this is not yet stable. (still technology preview).

Ceph with just 1 OSD will be slow.

Maybe gluster is an option here.

thx for answer

I dont really understand why ceph is slow if there are one disk on each node (and this disk is ssd). Drbd has no problems with that as i tested.
Can i make
/dev/sdb1
/dev/sdb2
/dev/sdb3
as "more OSD" ? :)

And what about drbd 8 ? - is this more stable than 9 ?

About gluster i have problems on other setup - live migration causes split brain so i dont like it.

If you want to use partitions as OSD disks then you have to create/initialize them manually, not with pveceph createosd command (you will need to set correct partition type GUID and name them as 'ceph data').

thx for answer

I dont really understand why ceph is slow if there are one disk on each node (and this disk is ssd).

Read more on http://ceph.com/ - Ceph is not fast on small number of hosts and just a few OSDs. But yes, SSD is faster than spinning disks.

Drbd has no problems with that as i tested.
Can i make
/dev/sdb1
/dev/sdb2
/dev/sdb3
as "more OSD" ? :)

no.

And what about drbd 8 ? - is this more stable than 9 ?

DRBD8 is not available for Proxmox VE 4.x. So if you want DRBD, you need to use V9.

About gluster i have problems on other setup - live migration causes split brain so i dont like it.

I personally do not have much experience with gluster, if I need shared storage I always go for Ceph.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!