Ceph monitors

N1ghtFr0g

Jul 21, 2023
Hello I made the mistake of installing Ceph before I made my cluster and now I can not add/remove/start, my second monitor in ceph I am curious if there is a command to remove it that I cannot find.

**Edit: I found the commands but it still will not let me remove it, Can I delete all the ceph installations without completely breaking the cluster?

Last edited:
Ok well now I kinda need to know if I can delete ceph and reinstall it without doing a full proxmox reinstall

Hello, could you tell us what have you done? Do you have all Ceph packages installed on all the nodes of the cluster? You can install Ceph directly from the web ui and it will tell you if anything is missing. How many nodes are in the cluster?

What do you mean by second monitor? is in a different node? Could you provide us the output of `journalctl -u ceph-mon@{hostname}`?

Yes the second monitor was on the different node but now everything is broke lol so I can't do anything except reinstall now and I tried pveceph install but it didnt give me any option to reinstall.

You could try to remove all Ceph services (MON, MGR, MDS, OSD). Depending on how broken the Ceph cluster is, removing the service might be easy or quite manual.

Then remove the /etc/pve/ceph.conf file.

Should the packages be the cause of the issue, you could run pveceph purge as that will clean up as much as possible. Use with caution!

The next time you access a Ceph panel, you will be asked to run the initial configuration again.

hmmm I did all that but it still wont give me that prompt.

Ill try again when I get home tonight.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!