Ceph cluster - how to properly reinstall Proxmox PVE on a node ?

YAGA

Renowned Member
Feb 15, 2016
Hi,

I've to reinstall a node on a ceph cluster because nvme boot partition has been damaged but the partition with VM and LXC disk images is ok.

I've added a new nvme disk for a fresh install proxmox and I previously renamed pve volume (with VM and LXC disk images) with 'vgrename pve pveold'

I have reinstalled proxmox on a new nvme on the same node and I have now /dev/pve and /dev/pveold.

I have a few questions to save time and avoid any issues :

- Can I add the fresh reinstalled node to the cluster without any issue ?
- Can i keep my ceph disks with ceph data or I have to erase all the existing ceph data ?
- I have backups for the VM and LXC on this node but the backup is only every few days, how can I import the VM and LXC from /dev/pveold to the new /dev/pve ?

Kind regards,

- Can I add the fresh reinstalled node to the cluster without any issue ?
Yes. there's really no need to keep the old node, just remove it from the cluster as described here: https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Cluster_Manager#_remove_a_cluster_node

- Can i keep my ceph disks with ceph data or I have to erase all the existing ceph data ?
Its... possible, but easier and more predictable to simply remove all the osds are recreate on the new node.
- I have backups for the VM and LXC on this node but the backup is only every few days, how can I import the VM and LXC from /dev/pveold to the new /dev/pve ?
I assume all your proxmox nodes are clustered, in which case this isnt necessary. if they're not this becomes a whole lot more complicated.

I assume all your proxmox nodes are clustered, in which case this isnt necessary. if they're not this becomes a whole lot more complicated.
Thanks for your feedback. Please could give me more explanation on what you call clustered ? do want to say HA ?

how can I migrate all the data (disks, cloud init disk...) from from /dev/pveold to the new /dev/pve ?

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!