CEPH - Add another node

TwiX

Renowned Member
Feb 3, 2015
Hi,

I'm actually using a pve 4.4 ceph cluster with 3 nodes. Everything is working as expected.
I'm wondering how to add another ceph node. Is there a way to do it in the GUI or via cli commands ?

Thanks in advanced !

Hi, thanks :)
I thought it is only used for the initial setup

Code:
pveceph install -version jewel
pveceph init

Executing these commands before or after joining new node to the cluster ?

Hi,

Are these commands still valid on proxmox 5.1 in order to add node(s) and osds ?
Seems that it disappeared on the wiki.

Thanks a lot

Hi,

Thanks but I still cannot see what to do in order to add a new node.
From my understanding :

- Prepare new node
- Join existing cluster
- execute : pveceph install -version luminous
- Then what ?

Thanks again ;)

First of all, what version of Ceph are you running? Luminous requires the addition of manager's, etc. Quite different from "jewel".

Hello, my 3 nodes cluster is running pve 5.1 with ceph luminous.
I just want to add a 4th node and install new osds from it.

Ok, after joining new nodes to the cluster we just have to (on new nodes) :
- pveceph install
- pveceph init

After that, we could add new osds/ mons if we need to.

I also noticed that ceph is working (I mean mounting/migrate vms) without install ceph luminous, because some ceph packages are installed (eg ceph-common) but these packages are related to jewel version.

Hi TwiX,

Do we need to specify the --network option when run the command "pveceph init --network xxx like first time we do it. I am in the midst of add new osd node to the running cluster.

Thanks

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!