Centos5

John Wick

Apr 25, 2017
Hi,

One of our client still use this OS. Their application is huge and they not plan to upgrade OS. Is it possible on proxmox? Please advice.

Thanks.

Install choose VirtIO, success install. But after reboot, not detect hdd. Any idea why? I saw some thread said installation centos5 on proxmox still not fix.

I suggest you use SATA for CentOS 5.

Generally you should use virtio-scsi on Linux, but this driver is only included in 6.3 and later.

Reactions: Hyacin
For what it is worth, moving the client to something slightly newer than CentOS5 should be ~more or less straightforward and ~painless. My vague recollection is that moving services over from a CentOS 5.X box to a 6.X box is not really a big deal. At least not as much change as when compared to going to CentOS 7.X (ie, core services like MySQL, Apache, etc - will all be ~similar enough that your old config won't need a 'major version rebuild tweak' to bring anything over).

centOS5 is getting rather long in the tooth these days anyhow, so making a gentle argument that a 'transplant to newer OS' is a good thing (ie, from security / patching / general sanity perspective)

I believe that CentOS 6.X will run quite painlessly as a KVM guest on Proxmox (ie, with proper VirtIO support, etc) and no drama.

Tim

You really don't want to use Centos 5.x now ... support for this has ended 31th of March 2017

I have CentOS 5.9 (Elastix 2.5 distribution) KVM VM on Proxmox 4.4, it runs just fine.
Disk device and 3 network devices are VirtIO.
Code:
[root@pbx ~]# uname -rv
2.6.18-406.el5 #1 SMP Tue Jun 2 17:26:20 EDT 2015

[root@pbx ~]# cat /etc/redhat-release
CentOS release 5.11 (Final)

[root@pbx ~]# lsmod | grep virt
virtio_balloon         11329  0
virtio_net             17473  0
virtio_blk             13901  3
virtio_pci             13509  0
virtio_ring             8513  1 virtio_pci
virtio                  9541  4 virtio_balloon,virtio_net,virtio_blk,virtio_pci

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!