CD Drive is not working correctly in Win10 VM

markob98

Apr 17, 2022
Hey everybody so I recently installed proxmox and and a win10 VM to use for ripping DVDs. I installed an internal DVD player. Prior I used a software now called ripped DVD monster and MakeMKV to ripp my DVDs. However MKV is not working on my VM and the other one stops after like 10% and crashes. I was wondering if anybody else has tried what I did and used a VM and can give me some recommendation on software and stuff to use.

You can see the drive being detected and so is the dvd. I can open the dvd with vlc but as soon as I want to play an episode it just doesnt load it.

I would really appreciate it.

Attachments

• Unbenannt.JPG
    Unbenannt.JPG
    64 KB · Views: 6
  • Unbenannt.JPG
    Unbenannt.JPG
    48.7 KB · Views: 4
  • Unbenannt.JPG
    Unbenannt.JPG
    88.2 KB · Views: 5
Are you using the Use physical CD/DVD Drive option? That one only supports discs with files on them (ISO9660), not DVD or Blu-ray video or CD audio. There are a few threads on this forum about using SATA passthrough, USB passthrough (with a USB/SATA-converter), SCSI device passthrough and iSCSI to get CD burning and video playback to work.
EDIT: Added links to the various techniques for passthrough. The GUI options does not support what you want. Please investigate other options and search the forum for threads about DVD video playback.

Last edited:
Are you using the Use physical CD/DVD Drive option? That one only supports discs with files on them (ISO9660), not DVD or Blu-ray video or CD audio. There are a few threads on this forum about using SATA passthrough, USB passthrough (with a USB/SATA-converter), SCSI device passthrough and iSCSI to get CD burning and video playback to work.
Yes i used Use physical CD/DVD Drive. I got the dvd drive connected to an lsi controller. I didnt had to pass this through. Proxmox picked up the dvd drive and the hdd connected to it. Do I have to pass something though though?

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!