Cases restore full backup and snapshot

BoolyTran

Apr 18, 2017
Recently, i have a problems about error VM after configure and VM error.

I have a question:

- First time, after create VM and configure network ..v...v , i create full backup via vzdump.
- Second time, i continue configure in VMs and create snapshot.

In cases i wrong configure and not rollback by snapshot and obligatory restore via fullbackup old.

I want after i have resort full backup, i able rollback snapshot before that ?

Please give me you idea.

Thanks so much!

snapshots are not included in backups, and restoring over an existing vm, removes all snapshots

you can make a backup after each snapshot of course and restore the one you want, or restore to a different id (then the old vm with the snapshots will not be touched)

Reactions: BoolyTran
snapshots are not included in backups, and restoring over an existing vm, removes all snapshots

you can make a backup after each snapshot of course and restore the one you want, or restore to a different id (then the old vm with the snapshots will not be touched)

Hi dcsapak,

I don't undersant your idea. Did you mean:

1. Restore old backup will remove all snapshot before that.
2. Only can make backup after each snapshot to restroe and can't create backup before create snapshot.

to clarify:

1) restoring a backup on an existing vmid is like deleting the old vm and restoring in its place (and there are no snapshots saved in a backup)

2) my suggestion was to create a backup after each snapshot, so you can go back to the correct point in time, even when no snapshots are there anymore

Reactions: BoolyTran

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!