[SOLVED] Cant start vm when host booted with hdmi plugged in

Jayden-Wit27

Mar 19, 2023
So my issue is pretty weird and i cant find anything that is close to my issue so i will drop it here.

i have a windows guest with GPU passthrough, it works great BUT.. when i turn off my proxmox node and start it up with my hdmi plugged in, and then try to start the container i get no video output. For it to work i'd have to turn off the proxmox node, remove the hdmi, start it up and plug the hdmi back in before starting the vm.

I'm just stuck at this point, if anyone knows something or needs any configuration files i'll respond ASAP.

Probably the GPU does not reset properly, which is not uncommon. If it has an output (HDMI connected), then it probably is used by Proxmox during boot and the VM cannot use it because it does not reset properly. If there are no outputs, it probably is not touched by Proxmox and the VM can use it. Try using this work-around from this thread when doing PCIe passthrough of the boot GPU.

Reactions: Jayden-Wit27
Probably the GPU does not reset properly, which is not uncommon. If it has an output (HDMI connected), then it probably is used by Proxmox during boot and the VM cannot use it because it does not reset properly. If there are no outputs, it probably is not touched by Proxmox and the VM can use it. Try using this work-around from this thread when doing PCIe passthrough of the boot GPU.
You are absolutely amazing, thanks soo much man

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!